You can add transitions at the start or end of any clip.
To add a transition to a video or image clip, or to an audio clip with no envelope nodes:
- Hover over the start or end of a clip.
- Click the Add transition button.
- Select a transition type from the pop-up menu.
Transitions for audio clips
Transitions for audio clips are rendered in a volume envelope, which lets you make volume changes at any point during an audio clip. You can use the method above to add starting or ending transitions to audio clips without any envelope nodes, but once there are any nodes, you should add transitions the following way:
- Add envelope nodes where you want the transition to start and end by right-clicking the envelope line and selecting Add node.
- Right-click the first node.
- Select a fade type.
Double-sided transitions simultaneously transition out of the first clip and into the second clip.
You can add a double-sided transition between two video or image clips when all the following conditions are met:
- The two clips are adjacent on the same track.
- The first clip has been trimmed to have an out point before the end of its source media.
- The second clip has been trimmed to have an in point after 00:00:00.
In this case, the Add transition button appears between the two clips.
The extra media outside the in point and out point will be used during the double-sided transition.
If the clips are moved apart, the double-sided transition will be automatically deleted.
If you want to add a single-sided transition at a point where a double-sided transition can be added, you should first move the clips apart, add the transition, then make the clips adjacent again.
To change the length of a video or image clip transition, drag either edge of the transition in the timeline.
For audio clips, drag the envelope nodes closer to or farther apart from each other.
If timeline snapping is enabled, you can easily align transitions with other transitions, clips, keyframes, or the playhead.
Note the following limitations on transition length:
- The transition must last for at least 1 frame.
- The transition can't exceed the length of the clip.
- Transitions can't overlap with each other.
- Double-sided transitions overlap both clips by an equal amount of time.
You can switch the transition type for media clips. To change a transition type:
- Right-click the transition or the audio envelope node with the transition that you want to change.
- Select the new transition type from the pop-up menu.
To delete a video or image transition:
- Right-click the transition span that you want to delete.
- Select Delete transition from the pop-up menu.
Double-sided transitions are automatically deleted if the two clips are no longer adjacent.
To delete an audio transition:
- Right-click the first node of a starting transition, or the last node of an ending transition.
- Select Remove from the pop-up menu.