Listen to music on your watch
You can listen to music on your watch without your phone as long as:
- Your watch has a built-in speaker or is connected to a Bluetooth accessory, like headphones. Learn how to pair Bluetooth devices.
- You added your Google Account to your device.
New things you can do with Play Music
- Shuffle songs once you start playback.
- See the songs that will will play next. You can tap any song in the list to play it.
- Check if a song is downloadable or has already been downloaded.
Set up your watch to play music
- On your watch, open the Play Store app .
- Find and download the Play Music app .
- To open the app, press the power button Play Music .
- If you haven’t added your Google account: Swipe down from the top of the screen. Tap Settings Personalization Accounts.
- If you haven't already, connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Optional: Connect your Bluetooth headphones.
Listen to music on your watch
Step 1: Choose your music
You can listen to music online from a playlist or download from Play Music to listen offline.
Tip: To make your battery last longer, listen to music offline.
Download music to use offline
You can leave your phone behind and listen to music from your watch. Save playlists, albums, or radio stations to listen on the go.
- Make sure your watch is connected to Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- Open the Play Music app .
- Next to the song, playlist, or album you want, tap Download .
Note: To stop the download, tap Cancel .
When the music is downloaded, you’ll see a check mark next to it. To delete a download, tap the check mark.
Add music to your home screen
With some watch faces, you can add your favorite music to your home screen.
- Touch and hold your home screen to open the watch face configuration menu.
- Tap the slot you want to add your music to.
- From the list, choose Google Play Music .
- Choose a recent playlist you’ve listened to.
Step 2: Play music
You can listen to music on your watch or stream it from your Play Music account. When you're disconnected, you'll only be able to see and play music you've downloaded.
After you start the music, you can check if songs or playlists can be shuffled. To scroll down to the Shuffle button and track list, tap the Up arrow.
Tip: If you don't see your music, try a different account. Swipe down from the top of the screen and tap Settings New Profile.
If you’re having trouble streaming music on your watch or you see Disconnected :
- If your screen is dim, tap it to wake up the watch.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Tap Settings Connectivity.
- Choose or add a Wi-Fi network.
When you're reconnected, go back to Play Music and try playing your music again.
If you’re having trouble with your connection, check the charge level of your watch. When the battery is low, your watch will enter Battery Saver Mode. Connectivity is limited to save energy. Make sure your watch is charged to keep this from happening.
Andrea is an Android expert and author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.