You're not signed in to your Google account. For the best help experience, sign in to your Google account.

/voice/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
My number is being used by a scammer and I do not know how to recover.
I need to recover my personal cell number which may have been scammed and used for another Google Voice number. I am receiving a message that my number is already in use when I didn't set it up.
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (5)
Toy impresario, wonder aficionado and avid shoe wearer
Relevant Answer
Welcome to the forum.

You can add your number to a Google Voice account to make sure it isn't linked to another account but that doesn't let you obtain a new number from Google.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
It is showing as already linked. I am unable to add it.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Here is how you can remove your linked number from any other Google Voice account.

*Updated 7/20/2021
Please be cautious of fraud when interacting with strangers on online sites, especially on Craigslist, which is a frequent target of scammers.  Never, ever share verification codes with anyone.  No legitimate business will ask for that information.
Your number never was used to do anything but as a voucher to obtain a number from Google , it is the Google number they obtained that was the object of desire.

Not likely, but if yours were left as a linked number on their account and they were to put the Google number out there and people called it to reach them, you might intercept their calls.

Therefore, this method of making sure that doesn't happen.

*Note that you may need to wait 24 hours if you have any issues using this method due to algorithms that prevent multiple verifications in a short time period.

To remove your number from being linked to an unknown Google Voice account following this method. This does not make the number eligible to be used to obtain a new number from Google if it was previously linked to Google Voice. 

Open a desktop browser not a mobile browser and go to this direct link https://voice.google.com/u/0/settings 
(Or with the same desktop browser go to Google Voice https://voice.google.com and open settings using the gear icon link in the upper right corner)

If you are directed to get a number and cannot get to the settings 
Click on the link that says (Skip This) then go to the settings  https://voice.google.com/u/0/settings

Do not click the link to "get a number"

Click the link that says + New  linked number. as shown in my screenshot
Follow that process and it will remove your number from any account it is linked with.
Again, it will not allow you to obtain a number from Google if the number was linked on another account, it simply removes it from that other account.

• If your number is presently linked to any Google Voice number you will receive a warning, 
  • Click Claim and you are done.
  • If you don't receive this warning and you simply added your number, then it was already removed from the other account and your done.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
I do not have a computer.  Why don't you have someone  who can help .
 This is confusing and I do not know how to reclaim this number which was scammed
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Catherine

The number was stolen from Google.
They just used your help to do it.
your number was probably deleted from the account as soon as they got the Google number as that is what they wanted.
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/voice/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic