Set up a Google Voice account
With Google Voice, you get a free phone number for calls, text messages, and voicemail. You can use the apps on smartphones and computers, and you can link your number to any mobile or landline number.
- On your computer, open Google Voice.
- Sign in to your Google Account.
- Search by city or area code for a number. Google Voice doesn't offer 1-800 numbers.
- If there aren't any numbers available in the area you want, try somewhere nearby.
- Next to the number you want, click Select. Follow the instructions.