Set up or remove Google voicemail
Set up Google voicemail for your phone
With Google Voicemail you'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.
If you'd like to set up Google voicemail for your mobile number, follow the steps below:
- Click the gear icon link at the top right corner of the page.
- Click Settings.
- Click Add another phone
- Enter a name and the number for your phone and then select the "Phone Type".
- Click Save.
- You will be prompted to verify your phone number. Click Connect and Google Voice will call your phone. Verify your phone by entering the code that appears in the 'Verify your Phone' pop-up window.
- Click Activate Google voicemail on this phone.
- Follow the directions on the next screen and enter the code provided as if you were calling someone. Press the 'Call' button on your phone to finish setting up Google voicemail for your mobile phone.
If you're a Verizon Wireless user click here
If you are having trouble configuring Google Voice as your voicemail service on Verizon you can make the switch manually by dialing these three activation codes:
- *71[Your Google Voice number]
- *90[Your Google Voice number]
- *92[Your Google Voice number]
Deactivate Google voicemail on your phone
Deleting your phone from Google Voice will not actually prevent your voicemail calls from going to Google voicemail. In order to switch back to your carrier's voicemail and deactivate your Google voicemail on your phone:
- Click the gear icon at the top right of the Google Voice page
- Select Settings.
- Click Edit under your forwarding phone number.
- Select Deactivate and follow the prompts.