Upgrade from Google Voice Lite
Google Voice Lite isn’t available for new accounts. Learn how to set up a full Google Voice account.
If you already have a Google Voice Lite account, you can continue to use it or upgrade to a full account.
Upgrade to a full Google Voice account
Make sure your phone is on and can get texts. To verify, we'll send your phone a text message with a code.
- On your Android device, open the Google Voice app .
- Sign in with your Google Account.
- Choose to upgrade to a full account:
- When you open Google Voice, you'll be asked to get a Google Voice number. Tap Get started.
- If you don't see a prompt, at the top left, tap Menu Settings. Next to "Get a Google Voice number," tap Choose.
- To pick your Google number, tap Search.
- Search by city or area code for a Google Voice number. Google Voice doesn't offer 1-800 numbers.
- If there aren't any numbers available in the area you want, try somewhere nearby.
- Next to the number you want, tap Select. Then, follow the onscreen instructions.
Use a computer to turn off voicemail and disconnect Google Voice Lite.
- On your computer, open Google Voice.
- At the top left, click Menu Legacy Google Voice. Google Voice will look different, but you're in the right place.
- At the top right, open Settings Settings.
- Click the "Phones" tab.
- Under your forwarding phone, click Deactivate Google voicemail on this phone.
- Follow the instructions to turn off Google voicemail. The instructions differ depending on your carrier.
- Under your forwarding phone, click Delete.
If you deleted your Google Account without turning off Google voicemail, call your carrier. Ask them to remove "conditional call forwarding" from your account.
Megan is a Google Voice expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.