About Google Voice Lite
If you don't want to sign up for a new Google number, you can get a Google Voice Lite account. A Google Voice Lite account will still let you enjoy some of the Google Voice benefits, including:
- Voicemail like email: Save voicemail messages for as long as you'd like, star important ones, and search through them
- Voicemail transcription: Voicemail messages will be automatically transcribed to text and forwarded to you via email and/or text message.
- Custom voicemail greetings: Customize your voicemail greeting based on who is calling.
- International calling: Make low priced international calls from the web or from your phone.
With the Google Voice Lite option, you won't get some full Google Voice features, like call forwarding, call screening, or call recording. Learn more about the Google Voice account options, and find out which options and features best meet your needs.
Sign up for Google Voice Lite
- On your computer, open Google Voice.
- Once signed in, you'll be prompted to either use Google Voice with your existing number or get a Google number. To use Google Voice Lite, select I want to use my mobile number.
- There will be several differences in your Google Voice account, depending on whether you choose to use a Google Voice number or a non-Google number. If you sign up for a Google number, you can still set up Google voicemail for your mobile devices.
- On the screen that appears, enter your mobile number and click Check for available options.
- Choose Get Google Voicemail for your existing mobile number.
- You will be prompted to verify your phone number. Click Connect and Google Voice will call your phone. Verify your phone by entering the code that appears in the 'Verify your Phone' pop-up window.
- Click Activate Google voicemail on this phone.
- Follow the directions on the next screen and enter the code provided as if you were calling someone. Press the 'Call' button on your phone to finish setting up Google voicemail for your mobile phone.
To ensure Google Voice is working properly with your phone, you can make a test call to your phone once you've completed setup, and let the call go to voicemail. If you receive an error message on your phone, the setup was not successful.
You can use this troubleshooter to help you resolve your issue.
Megan is a Google Voice expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.