Get started with Google Voice
With Google Voice, you get a free phone number for calls, text messages, and voicemail. You can use the apps on smartphones and computers, and you can link your number to any mobile or landline number.
What you can do with Google Voice
- Text from your computer or mobile phone
- Read your voicemail and search through it like email
- Personalize voicemail greetings for family and friends
- Make international calls at low rates
- Get protected from spam calls, block unwanted callers, and screen calls before answering
To offer these services, Google Voice saves and processes your call, text, and voicemail information.
Start using Google Voice
First, you'll need:
- A Google Account
- U.S. phone number that can forward calls after ringing
- Note: Some VoIP phone number providers don't allow conditional call forwarding
- Computer or iPhone with Internet access (for sign-up)
- Optional: Google Voice app on iPhone
Then, sign up at Google Voice.
Cost and availability
Google Voice is only available in the U.S. If you're outside the U.S., you can make calls with Hangouts.
Megan is a Google Voice expert and the author of this help page. Help her improve this article by leaving feedback below.