Google Voice for iPhone uses push notifications to instantly alert you when you receive a new voicemail message. You can manage your options under Settings > Notifications > Google Voice.
Set Up Google voicemail on your phone
Google Voice Lite lets you set up Google voicemail for your mobile phone number. You'll have all your voicemail in one place, with transcriptions, access to your past voicemails, and voicemail sharing options.
If you'd like to set up Google voicemail for your mobile number, follow the steps below:
- Click the gear icon link at the top right corner of the page.
- Click Voice settings.
- Click Add another phone and enter a name and the number for your mobile phone.
- Click Save.
- You will be prompted to verify your phone number. Click Connect and Google Voice will call your phone and you need to verify it by entering the code that appears in the 'Verify your Phone' pop-up window.
- Once you've verified your phone, you'll have to choose your mobile carrier from the drop-down menu.
- Follow the directions on the next screen and enter the code provided as if you were calling someone. Press the 'Call' button on your phone to finish setting up Google voicemail for your mobile phone.
If you are having trouble configuring Google Voice as your voicemail service on Verizon you can make the switch manually by dialing these three activation codes:
- *71[Your Google Voice number]
- *90[Your Google Voice number]
- *92[Your Google Voice number]
Deactivate Google voicemail on your phone
Deleting your phone from Google Voice will not actually prevent your voicemail calls from going to Google voicemail. In order to switch back to your carrier's voicemail and deactivate your Google voicemail on your phone, click the gear icon at the top right of the Google Voice page, and select Voice settings. Then, select the Phones tab and click on Edit Select Deactivate and follow the prompts.
Access your messages
To access your voicemail messages, tap the Inbox tab and tap any of the messages to view a text transcript. You may notice that some of the words are shaded differently. The darker the shade, the more confident we are in the accuracy of the transcript.
Listen to your messages
To listen to the message, tap the Play button. As the message plays, you'll see karaoke-style highlighting that follows along on the transcript. You can rewind or fast forward to any point in the message by using the slider at the bottom of the screen. You can also tap the arrow at the top-right to show Contact information, add the person to your Quick Dial or Contacts list, call them back, or send a reply by text message.
Caroline is a Google Voice expert and author of this help page. Leave her feedback below about the page.