About upgrading to G Suite Business or G Suite Enterprise
Upon upgrading to G Suite Business or G Suite Enterprise, Vault is automatically available to everyone in your organization, and all users will be subject to your current data retention and deletion policies.
If you are a current Vault customer with full-domain licensing, there will be no change in behavior upon upgrading, and you may proceed without additional precautions.
If you are a current Vault customer with partial-domain licensing and you plan to upgrade:
- Your default retention rule will be applied to all users in your domain. This could result in the unexpected and permanent deletion of any user emails and chats that are not protected by a custom rule.
- Any custom retention rules that are applied to an organizational unit (OU) will be applied to all users in the specified OU and its sub-OUs. For custom retention rules specifying the root OU, the rule will be applied to all users in your domain.
- Any holds that are applied to the domain-level (i.e. holds with no specified users) will be applied to all users in your domain.
To prevent accidental deletion of data: review your current retention settings to make sure they are set appropriately for a fully-licensed Vault domain.
If you would like to upgrade before fully reviewing your desired retention policies, you can create a custom retention policy with an indefinite retention period for your entire domain:
- Sign into Vault.
- Click Retention in the left navigation.
- Click ADD RULE.
- Select the following options:
- Organization. Leave this at the default choice to apply to your entire domain.
- Sent date. Leave this blank to apply to all available data.
- Terms. Leave this blank to apply to all available data.
- Exclude drafts. Leave this unchecked to apply to all available data.
- Retention period. Select Indefinitely.
- Click Save.
Make any necessary modifications to your retention settings before upgrading, or else you may permanently lose content. After upgrading, make sure to revisit your retention rules to ensure they comply with your organization’s requirements.