After you identify and collect the data pertinent to your Google Workspace eDiscovery project with search, you can export it for further analysis. To search for and export data, your Google Workspace administrator must assign you Manage Matters, Manage Searches, and Manage Exports privileges.
Start an export
- If you haven't already, create a matter and search for the messages or items you want to export.
- From your list of search results, click Export results.
- Enter a name for the export.
- Choose a data region.
- Depending on the type of data you export:
- Click Start Export.
Note: You can have no more than 20 exports in progress across your organization.
The Export page displays the status of your export. You can continue working within Vault while the export is in progress. When your export is complete, you see a green checkmark next to name of your export.
Large exports can take several hours to process. If a large export hasn’t completed after 24 hours, Vault stops the export and delivers partial results. You can then restart the export where it left off.
After an export has run for 24 hours, Vault stops the process and notes that the Export contains partial results. You can download the messages and items Vault was able to retrieve up to that point, along with a CSV file that lists the accounts that weren't exported.
Click Continue export to resume processing the export. Give the export a new name, and Vault gathers more messages and items for another 24 hours. You can continue an export as many times as necessary to retrieve all the messages and items that matched your query.
- If possible, identify the accounts you need to export and perform several searches, each on a few of accounts.
- Perform several searches using date ranges. For example, search for messages sent in 2013, then do another search for messages sent in 2014.
- After the export completes, click View completed files under the name of your export. If your export is complete and you don't see this link, refresh the page.
- Click Download next to a file to download it.
Note: Export files are available for 15 days after you start the export, and then they're automatically deleted.
To analyze the files exported from Vault, see how Vault exports work.