Search mail and classic Hangouts
Once you create a matter, use Vault to search for mail and classic Hangouts messages. You can also use Vault to search for:
Things to know before you search
Before you search, you should understand the following. For additional information about searching for data, see the Vault Search FAQ.What types of attachments are indexed?
Compatible text-based attachment file types (for example, files with .pdf, .xslx, and .docx extensions) are indexed for search. However, Vault doesn't index video, audio, image, and binary content.
Vault indexes and searches approximately the first megabyte of a message and any attachments. If Vault finds a match, it searches the rest of the data and makes it available for preview and export.
- Create a new matter or click on an existing matter.
- Click Search in the left pane, and then click Mail as the type of data to search.
- Choose a Source:
- All data—Search all data in your organization.
- Held data—Search all data on litigation hold for the matter.
- Unprocessed data—Search content that we have identified as partially processed.
- Select a Search method:
- All Accounts—search all licensed Vault accounts in the domain.
- Specific Accounts—enter accounts to search specific users. You can enter up to 500 accounts. This field searches for the envelope sender or recipient address. Use Terms to search by header, sender, or recipient address.
- Organizational Unit—Search within a specific organizational unit. If you choose one with suborganizational units, all of the suborganizational units will be searched.
- (Optional) Enter a sent date range and choose a time zone.
- If you enter a start date, Vault returns all messages sent on or after the date you entered.
- If you enter an end date, Vault returns all messages sent on or before the date you entered.
- (Optional) Use Terms to specify one or more search terms. Use search operators for complex searches. Search terms can't exceed 2,000 characters.
Tip: To search for classic Hangouts chats, use the search term is:chat.
- (Optional) Check the Exclude drafts box to exclude email drafts from this search. If left unchecked, Vault will return any draft messages that match your criteria, including automatically saved drafts.
- Click one of the following:
- Search—to perform a search.
- Count--to display the number of messages found by the search terms you've entered. You can then modify your search criteria to further expand or restrict the results.
- Export—to skip preview and immediately export the search results.
- (Optional) Click the Search down arrow to:
- Reset—to clear the search form.
- Duplicate search form—to open another search form under the current form, pre-populated with the information you've already entered.
When you open an email or chat message, the thread's entire conversation is displayed. For very long threads, only the most recent 100 messages are included in the preview. You can't preview earlier messages from the thread. However, all messages that match your search criteria are included when you export.
Note: Vault exports only the messages that match your search terms. Go back and modify your search terms if you need to export additional messages from the thread.
To view basic header information for a message, click show details.Basic message details:
- System labels—Shows the status of the message in the user's account:
- User labels—Shows any labels applied to the message by the user.
- To view a message in its entirety, including all header information, click original.
- To print an individual message, click print.
- To print all messages in a conversation, click Print all.
- For messages with attachments, you can Download the attached files. For some file types (such as .docx, .ppt, and .pdf) you can View the attachment without downloading it.