Search mail and classic Hangouts
Once you create a matter, you can use Vault to search for mail and classic Hangouts messages. You can also use Vault to search for:
Things to know before you search
Before you search, you should understand the following. For additional information about searching for data, see the Vault Search FAQ.What types of attachments are indexed?
Compatible text-based attachment file types (for example, files with .pdf, .xslx, and .docx extensions) are indexed for search. However, Vault doesn't index video, audio, image, and binary content.
Vault indexes and searches approximately the first megabyte of a message and any attachments. If Vault finds a match, it searches the rest of the data and makes it available for preview and export.
- Click a matter name.
- Click Search in the left pane.
- Choose a Source:
- All data—Search all data in your organization.
- Held data—Search all data on litigation hold for the matter.
- Unprocessed data—Search content that we have identified as partially processed.
- Click Mail as the type of data to search.
- (Optional) Select a Search method:
- Users—Leave blank to search all licensed Vault users in the domain, or enter accounts to search specific users. You can enter up to 500 accounts. This field searches for the envelope sender or recipient address. Use Terms to search by header, sender, or recipient address.
- Organizational Unit—Search within a specific organizational unit. If you choose one with sub-organizational units, all of the sub-organizational units will be searched.
- (Optional) Enter a sent date range and choose a time zone.
- (Optional) Use Terms to specify one or more search terms. Use search operators for complex searches.
Tip: To search for classic Hangouts chats, use the search term is:chat.
- (Optional) Check the Exclude drafts box to exclude email drafts from this search. If left unchecked, Vault will return any draft messages that match your criteria, including automatically saved drafts.
- Click Search.
- (Optional) Click the Search drop-down arrow to:
- Count results—Displays the number of messages found by the search terms you've entered. You can then modify your search criteria to further expand or restrict the results.
- Export results—Skips search preview and immediately exports the search results.
- Duplicate search form—Loads another search dialog prepopulated with the information you've already entered.
When you open an email or chat message, the thread's entire conversation is displayed. For very long threads, only the most recent 100 messages are included in the preview. You can't preview earlier messages from the thread. However, all messages that match your search criteria are included when you export.
Note: Vault exports only the messages that match your search terms. Go back and modify your search terms if you need to export additional messages from the thread.
To view basic header information for a message, click show details.Basic message details:
- System labels—Shows the status of the message in the user's account:
- User labels—Shows any labels applied to the message by the user.
- To view a message in its entirety, including all header information, click original.
- To print an individual message, click print.
- To print all messages in a conversation, click Print all.
- For messages with attachments, you can Download the attached files. For some file types (such as .docx, .ppt, and .pdf) you can View the attachment without downloading it.