Organize and create matters
In Google Vault, a matter is a container for all of the data related to a specific topic, such as a litigation case or investigation. A matter includes:
- Saved search queries
- A list of accounts with data on litigation hold
- A list of the accounts that can access the matter
- Export sets for the matter
- An audit trail for the matter
When you sign in to Google Vault, you see the Matters page, which lists of all open matters your account can access. These include matters you created and matters that are shared with you.
- Click My matters, Shared with me, Closed, or Trash to view matters of the corresponding type.
- Click a column header to sort the matters by Name, Owner, or Last Accessed.
- Click a matter in the list to open it.
Creating a matter
Before creating a matter, determine what to name it. If your organization doesn't already have a naming convention for matters, it should establish one to ensure that every matter's name clearly identifies its purpose (such as the associated litigation case). Each matter must have a unique name.
- Click Create.
- Type a name and description for the matter. Use a name that makes the matter easy to identify. Matter names must be unique. Your organization should create guidelines to ensure consistent and clear naming of matters.
- Click Create new matter.
Closing and deleting a matterWhen an investigation is complete, you can:
- Close the matter. When a matter is closed, you can reopen it at a later date. Upon closing a matter, Vault keeps any saved searches and all audit data associated with the matter. Export files are immediately deleted.
- Delete any holds associated with the matter.
- Check the box next to the matter you want to close.
- Click the Close button that appears at the top of the screen.
- Delete the matter. Only closed matters can be deleted. A deleted matter is moved to Trash, where it can still be reopened with all data intact.
- Go to Matters > Closed and check the box next to the matter you want to delete.
- Click the Delete button that appears at the top of the screen.
FAQsWhat happens to a matter when the account of the user who created that matter is deleted?
The matter remains in Vault. Any Vault user with the "Manage Matters" privilege can still share that matter with other Vault users.
It's important to remember, however, that user accounts on hold in the matter must not be deleted in the Admin console and also require a Vault license to stay on hold.