Urchin 4 is an entirely new product with thoroughly revised internal workings and data formats that are not directly compatible with Urchin 3. Therefore an existing Urchin 3 installation cannot simply be upgraded by installing Urchin 4 in its place. However, it is possible to install Urchin 4 side by side with Urchin 3 so that you may migrate report and configuration data from one to the other. The basic Urchin 3 to Urchin 4 upgrade process consists of:
- Installing and licensing Urchin 4
- Deactivating Urchin 3 log processing
- Running a migration tool to import Urchin 3 data into Urchin 4
- Post migration configuration of Urchin 4 processing
You should already have downloaded the Urchin 4 installer appropriate for your system. Also you will need to know the full path to your Urchin 3 config file to complete the upgrade process. Proceed as follows:
- Install Urchin 4 per instructions in the Installation section of this guide
- Obtain a license for Urchin 4 and perform basic configuration of global settings such as assigning an admin password, choosing DNS settings, and so forth, but do not create any Profiles.
- Run the inspector program in the Urchin 4 util subdirectory to verify that your Urchin 4 installation is correct. If any errors are reported correct them before proceeding with your upgrade.
- If necessary to guarantee that no changes are made to your Urchin
3 databases during migration, deactivate your Urchin 3 log processing
- Windows - launch the Urchin 3 configuration interface and set reports to Off as appropriate
- UNIX systems - edit your crontab and comment out the line that controls Urchin processing
- Run the u3importer program located in the Urchin 4 util subdirectory. This program will prompt you for the full path to your Urchin 3 config file, then prompt to indicate which sites you want to import into Urchin 4.
Your Urchin 3 report and configuration data should now be established in Urchin 4. Connect to the Urchin 4 administration interface and verify that you have correct Profiles for all your websites.
- Not all Urchin 3 configurations can be migrated. In particular existing configurations that rely on the Urchin 3 SubreportMode directive cannot be imported directly into Urchin 4, which does not support SubreportMode. A custom Urchin 4 configuration will need to be constructed manually in this case.
- u3importer cannot be used to migrate Urchin 3 data between differing platform types as part of the import process. So you cannot, for example, take Urchin 3 databases created on a Windows platform and try to import them into an Urchin 4 installation on a Sun. u3importer must be run on a platform of the type where the Urchin 3 databases were created.