The links to my site already contain my own campaign tracking variables. Can I use these variables instead of Urchin's?
If you've already tagged your online links with your own tracking variables, you can map these existing variables to Urchin's campaign tracking variables. Your tagged links will need to contain at least 3 variables. These will map to:
- utm_source: the source of your campaign (for example, Google, Yahoo)
- utm_medium: the medium of your campaign (cpc, banner, email)
- utm_campaign: the name of your campaign (spring_sale)
For the purpose of these instructions, we will assume that your site contains the following URL:
Step 1. Match your variables with Urchin's variables. Create a table following the format shown in the example below:
|Campaign||Ad Source||Ad Type||Keyword||A/B content||Master|
Step 2. Modify the UTM file.
- Open the urchin.js file in a text editor. At the top of the file there is a user-defined section which includes the utm variables:
//-- UTM Campaign Tracking Settings var _uctm=1; var _ucto="15768000"; var _uccn="utm_campaign"; var _ucmd="utm_medium"; var _ucsr="utm_source"; var _uctr="utm_term"; var _ucct="utm_content"; var _ucid="utm_id"; var _ucno="utm_nooverride";
- Using the tagged link example above, this section would be edited as follows:
//-- UTM Campaign Tracking Settings var _uctm=1; var _ucto="15768000"; var _uccn="camp"; var _ucmd="type"; var _ucsr="adver"; var _uctr="kwd"; var _ucct="version"; var _ucid="utm_id"; var _ucno="utm_nooverride";
Step 3. Create filters for these new tracking variables.
- This is the basic filter configuration you should use for each filter:
Filter Type : Advanced Field A : utm_campaign_uri (raw) Extract A : new_variable =([^&]*) Field B : (None) Extract B : (empty) Output To : utm _( old_variable ) Constructor : $A1 Field A Required : Yes Field B Required : No Override Output Field : Yes Case Sensitive : No
- old_variable refers to the default Urchin tracking variable. new_variable refers to your own tracking variable. Remember that you will need a filter for each modified variable.