Working with Users & Groups
Urchin's Users & Groups functionality allows Urchin administrators to easily set up any number of users and grant them access to whichever reports deemed appropriate. These users can then be put into groups to expedite and simplify management of large numbers of users. If a group of users is granted report access, all users in that group will have access upon logging in to the system. Users do not have report access ever unless specifically allowed.
How to Add Users
- Log-in to your Urchin system as an administrator. Note: the URL for accessing the Urchin system is identical regardless of the user type.
- Click Configuration (upper right menu).
Click Users & Groups.
- Click the Add button at upper-right to enter the User Wizard.
- Select a username -- it should be lower-case and must not have spaces -- and choose a password.
- Enter the user's real name -- this will be displayed in the Urchin system. Click the Next button.
Determine what level of control the user should have. Grant access on AdWords tools if required (Urchin 6.601+). Click Finish.
- Click More Options to edit User Info, Preferences, Groups, or Report Access for the user.
- Click the Report Access tab. The available Profiles will be shown in the box at left.
- Select one or more Profiles. To select multiple Profiles, use the command key or control key depending on your platform.
- Click the right-facing arrow to move the Profile(s) to the Access Granted box.
- Click Update to save changes.
Beginning with Urchin 6.602, the Home Page default view for a user can be defined in the Urchin configuration database. Read Rollup Reports for more information. Access to AdWords Tools can be granted/revoked to the corresponding user via User Settings -> Preferences.
How to Use Groups
- Log-in to your Urchin system as an administrator and click Configuration (upper right menu)
Click Users & Groups.
- Click Groups.
- Click the Add button at top-right.
- Enter the Group Name -- this can be anything descriptive.
- Enter the Group Description -- this might be something to do with the location or composition of the group.
- Click Finish.
- Click More Options.
- Click the Users in Group tab to select users to add to the group -- to select multiple users, use the command key or control key depending on your platform.
- Click the right-facing arrow to move users to the Users in Group box.
- Click the Update button to save changes.
- Any "Super Admin" level user has complete control over the Urchin system, so it is advisable to only grant that privilege to one person.
- Passwords should contain one or more capital letters and/or symbols to make them difficult to guess.