How can I upgrade to Urchin 6?
How can I upgrade to Urchin 6?
Contributions to this article were made by Analytics Pros, an Urchin Software Authorized Consultant
There is no upgrade path from Urchin 5 to Urchin 6, however, you can migrate your data from Urchin 5 to Urchin 6. Follow the instructions in this article to migrate your configuration (accounts, users, etc) and reporting data.
Do not install Urchin 6 in the same folder as Urchin 5. Doing so will disrupt both Urchin 6 and Urchin 5. Note also that the Urchin installer will not provide a warning if you attempt to install Urchin 6 in the same folder as Urchin 5.
- Migrating data with months of overlap between Urchin 5 and Urchin 6 reporting data is not recommended. If the target database already contains data for a month that you are trying to import, your import will run much slower than would otherwise be the case.
Migrating Configuration Data
1. From your Urchin 5 installation, run the uconf-export utility. This utility retrieves the content of the configuration database (which, on Urchin 5, is a flat file). By default (no arguments passed) this utility sends text to std out (monitor). Simply use the -f argument to indicate the name of the file to which you wish to output the data. Note: The output file must be accessible from your Urchin 6 installation.
uconf-export -f PATH+FILE_NAME
2. From your Urchin 6 installation, run
uconf2sql -f PATH+FILE_NAME
where PATH+FILE_NAME is the file to which you exported the data.
This will conclude the process of migrating your configuration data from Urchin 5 to Urchin 6.
Migrating Report Data
1. From your Urchin 5 installation, save 'Urchin5 BASE' directory in a location that is accessible from your Urchin 6 installation. (For example, if you are running Urchin 5 and 6 on Windows, you could share the Urchin 5 directory and then mount it as a drive on the Urchin 6 file system.)
2. From your Urchin 6 installation, run the convert-u5data utility as follows:
convert-u5data [-a account] [-p PROFILE_NAME] -c PATH_2_U5_InstallDir
This will retrieve all reporting data from Urchin 5 files and migrate it to Urchin 6.
Usage Notes for convert-u5data
- -a is optional, if not used - all accounts will be searched for profile(s) to migrate
- -p is optional, if not used - all profiles within searched account(s) will be migrated
- -d is optional, used to run utility in Debug mode(Urchin 6.6+)
- -z is optional, used to convert archived databases(Urchin 6.6+)
Limitations on data migration to Urchin 6 are described in Urchin 5 to Urchin 6 Report Data Mapping.
Note: If you have customized the Urchin data directory location by modifying ./Urchin5_Install_Base/etc/urchin.conf to use a different location that "./data" you will need to ensure that the location and user running convert-u5data has access to the same path as defined in urchin.conf. For example, if you've updated urchin.conf to use "D:\urchin5_data\", then the system running convert-u5data will look for Urchin 5 data at "D:\urchin5_data\". If this is not a valid path on the system where the command is running you will receive the error message Error changing Directories. Exiting. The recommended procedure in this case is to copy the Urchin 5 Data folder back into the "data" folder at the Urchin5_Install_Base" location and update urchin.conf to use "./data" for the data folder location setting.
Important: In case of a migration failure or interuption, clean up the Urchin 6 profile data, and restore the initial profile state from backup before the next migration attempt.