With transliteration, you can type the sound of words and letters in Arabic or the Indic languages using Roman characters. As you type, the words appear in their correct alphabet.
Note: Transliteration is not the same as translation. The sound of words is converted from one alphabet to the other, not the meaning.
Turn on transliteration
- Open a document in the Translation editor.
- At the top left, next to Help, you'll see a button with a language code on it. Click the language code.
- Click the segment where you want to enter a transliteration.
- Place your cursor in the segment.
- Begin typing. As you type, the transliteration will appear.
- To use the transliteration, click it.
You can use Roman characters to type the sound of words and letters in the following languages: