Tap to translate
You can copy text from any app on your Android device and translate it to another language using Tap to Translate.
Step 1: Turn on Tap to Translate
- Open the Google Translate app .
- In the top left, tap Menu Settings Tap to Translate.
- Tap Enable Tap to Translate. To disable Tap to Translate, tap again.
- If asked to allow Tap to Translate to draw over other apps, tap Allow.
Note: On some devices, you might need to change your security settings in other apps.
Step 2: Translate text from an app
- Open any app on your Android device.
- Select the text you want to translate.
- Copy the text.
- In the top right corner of the screen, tap Translate .
The translation shows in a Google Translate window inside the app.
More translate options
- Enter a new word or phrase: Tap New translation.
- To hear the translated text: Tap Listen .
- Change the languages: Tap the Down arrow . Then, tap the desired language.
- Copy the translated text: Tap More Copy.
- Open Google Translate: Tap More Open in main app.