You can translate text in other apps with the Google Translate app.
With Tap to Translate, you can copy text from an app and translate it to another language. Text you copy is sent to Google for translation only after you tap Google Translate .
Important: Tap to Translate works with text, not with images.
Turn Tap to Translate on or off
- On your Android phone or tablet, open the Translate app .
- At the top right, tap Menu Settings .
- Tap Tap to Translate Enable.
- For Android 10 and up: Tap Paste .
- For Pixel 6 and up: To get quick translations, you can turn on Show floating icon.
Tip: The first time you use Tap to Translate, you may get a pop-up that asks if you want to “Display over other apps.” To continue, tap Allow.
Use Tap to Translate
With Tap to Translate, you can translate text from apps and you don’t need to open the Google Translate app.
- Open an app with text you can copy.
- Highlight the text you want to translate Copy.
- On your current screen, tap Google Translate .
- Choose the language you want.
Tip: To dismiss the Tap to Translate bubble, you can hold and drag it to the bottom of the screen. You may need to update your app to the latest version.