You can translate text in other apps with the Google Translate app. Here's how:
When Tap to Translate is on, you can copy text from any app on your Android device and translate it to another language. Tap to Translate can only translate text in an app, not images.
Important: Text you've copied will be sent to Google for translation only after you tap the Google Translate icon.
Turn Tap to Translate on or off
- Open the Translate app .
- At the top left, tap Menu Settings.
- Tap Tap to Translate Enable.
Tip: When you use Tap to Translate for the first time, you may get a pop-up that says “Display over other apps.” To continue, tap Allow display over other apps.
Use Tap to Translate
- Open an app with text you can copy.
- Highlight the text you want to translate Copy.
- On your current screen, tap Google Translate .
- Choose the language you want.
Tip: To dismiss the Tap to Translate bubble, you can hold and drag it to the bottom of the screen. You may need to update your app to the latest version. You don't need to open the Google Translate app to use Tap to Translate.