Translate written words
You can translate words or phrases using the Google Translate app, or use Google Translate on the web through your browser.
Translate text using Google Translate on the web
- Go to Google Translate.
- In the white text box, enter the text to translate.
- Next to "Detect language," click the Down arrow .
- Click the language to translate from.
- Above the gray text box, click the click the Down arrow .
- Click the language to translate into.
- You'll see an automatic translation. If not, click Translate.
The more text you enter, the more accurate your translation will be. Below the translation, you could see pronunciation, uses, or a dictionary.
Listen to your translation
To hear your translation aloud, click Listen .
Translate longer text
Google Translate now uses technology that gives better translations. You can use it to translate whole sentences and phrases in context.
Because sentences are now translated in context, you can no longer see alternate translations for a word or phrase. Instead, select the entire sentence or text block.
There is a character limit on the amount of text that can be translated at one time. Translate longer texts using documents.
Note: This feature isn’t available in all languages.