Translate written words
You can translate words or phrases using the Google Translate app or a browser, like Chrome or Safari.
Tip: To give the right context to your translation, write your word or phrase in a complete sentence.
- On your computer, go to Google Translate.
- In the text box on the left, enter the word or phrase you want to translate.
- To select a different language:
- Small screens: Click the language at the top.
- Medium and large screens: For more options, click the Down arrow .
- Choose what you want to do.
- Listen: To hear the translation out loud, click Listen .
- Share: To send the translation via another app, click More Share translation.
- Copy: To copy the translation to the clipboard, click Copy .
- Edit: To offer a different translation to be reviewed by the Translate Community, click More Suggest an edit.
Note: To see these options on small and medium screens, you could have to click More .
Translate longer text
You can translate up to 5,000 characters. To translate longer pieces of text, cut and paste the text in blocks, or upload an entire document. Learn how to upload entire documents to Google Translate.