GTFS Best Practices
Adding Route Shapes
Optional Data (Shapes, Fares, and Rules):
- Goal: Enhance your feed with optional information that simplifies and enriches navigation of your transit system.
- Required information: Latitude and longitude information associated with the shapes of your routes.
- Optional information: Fare information and rules.
- Estimated completion time: Up to 3 days.
Generate Shapes File (
shapes.txt, as defined in Google Transit Feed Specification, contains information about the shape of a particular route, that is, the actual distance and trajectory between stops in a route and not the straight-line distance between two points.
shape_id: This required field contains an ID that uniquely identifies a shape.
shape_pt_lat: This required field associates a shape point's latitude with a shape ID in a valid WGS 84 format.
shape_pt_lon: This required field associates a shape point's longitude with a shape ID in a valid WGS 84 format.
shape_pt_sequence: This required field associates the latitude and longitude of a shape point with its sequence order along the shape.
shape_dist_traveled: This optional field positions a shape point as a distance traveled along a shape from the first shape point.
Expected time to complete: Up to 3 days.
Test Shapes in Google Maps
- Goal: Verify that shapes appear correctly in Google Maps.
- Required information: A validated feed and URL.
- Estimated completion time: 1 week
Shapes, as defined by your feed, should accurately reflect a given route.