Configuring Pidgin for Google Talk
Once you download Pidgin, you'll need to configure your client to connect to Google Talk. If you're connecting with a Google Apps account, please read the specific instructions in the Google Apps Help Center.
To configure Google Talk:
- Open Pidgin.
- From the Accounts menu, select Add/Edit.
- Click Add from the Accounts window.
- Enter the following information in the Add Account window:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Screen Name: your Google Talk username (without any @ symbol or domain).
- Server: Enter a server value depending on your type of account:
- Gmail users should enter gmail.com
- Google Mail users (email@example.com) should enter googlemail.com
- If you're signing in with a Google Account that's not linked to any Google email product, enter gmail.com
- Google Apps users, please visit the Apps
Help Center for instructions
- Password: we suggest leaving this field blank for increased security, but if you'd like to sign in automatically, enter your password
- Local Alias: leave this field blank
- Remember password: check the box if you'd like Pidgin to remember your password (you won't be prompted to enter it each time you sign in, if you select this option)
- New mail notifications: check the box if you'd like Pidgin
to notify you of unread email in your inbox.
Have questions about Pidgin? Learn from the experts! Check out Pidgin's FAQs. The Google Talk Team can only assist you in configuring your client to work with Google Talk.
Google is a trademark of Google Inc. All other marks are trademarks of their respective owners.