AdWords conversion tracking
AdWords conversion tracking shows you what happens after a customer clicks on your ads – whether they purchased a product, signed up for your newsletter, called your business, or downloaded your app. When a customer completes an action that you've defined as valuable, these customer actions are called conversions.
You can set up an AdWords conversion tracking tag from Tag Manager. Before getting started with this tag, we recommend getting familiar with conversion tracking in the AdWords Help Center.
To set this up, you'll need to supply the required AdWords Conversion ID and Conversion Label, an optional Conversion Value, Order ID, and Currency Code.
- In Tag Manager, start a new AdWords tag. From the home screen select New Tag → Tag Configuration → AdWords Conversion Tracking.
- Gather the values that you will use to complete the tag setup.
- In your AdWords account, navigate to Tools → Conversions → Conversion actions.
- Select the name of the conversion action that you want to use from the Name column.
- In the code box, find the values for the AdWords code variables and record their corresponding values. For Conversion ID, this will be
google_conversion_id, for Conversion Label, this will be
google_conversion_label, and so on.
- For Order ID, you will need to set up your app or website to generate an Order ID, add that value to the data layer, and create a Tag Manager variable to retrieve the Order ID value.
- In Google Tag Manager, add the required Conversion ID and Conversion Label values to their respective fields. You may optionally add a Conversion Value, Order ID, and Currency Code. Be sure to use Tag Manager variables for these field values whenever applicable. (For instance, you will always want to use a variable for Order ID.)
- Choose one or more triggers in the Triggering section to specify when the tag should fire.
- Click Save to complete your tag setup, preview your changes, and publish when ready.