Tag Assistant Legacy Chrome Extension automatically validates the implementation of Google tracking scripts on any given page. It works for:
- Google Analytics
- AdWords Conversion Tracking
- AdWords Remarketing (legacy)
- AdWords Remarketing (new remarketing tag)
- Doubleclick Floodlight
- Google Tag Manager
You can install Tag Assistant via this Google Chrome Store link.
This article refers to the legacy version of Tag Assistant. Learn more about the latest version of Tag Assistant.
How Tag Assistant Legacy Works
After installing the extension, you will see an icon indicating the status of the tag on the page you're viewing.
- A grey icon with an 'x' indicates that no code was found on the page
- A green indicator will show if a valid tag was found. The number in the icon indicates the number of tags that were found
- A blue indicator will show there are suggestions on improving overall tagging health
- A yellow indicator will show that a tag was found with minor implementation issues
- A red indicator will show that a tag was found with critical implementation issues
Click the icon to open a window containing tag details. It shows how many tags were found, how many errors were found, any errors, and a link to the most relevant help document available to resolve the problem. In addition, Tag Assistant makes suggestions when improvements can be made. For example, if an outdated Analytics tag has been installed, Tag Assistant may suggest that you update to a newer tag.