Trade in your old phone, available only in Canada, Germany, Japan, United Kingdom, and United States on the Google Store.
You can trade in your old phone for credit toward a new phone from the Google Store.
Here's some important info to know about trade-ins through Google Store, or learn more about the Google Fi trade-in program.
Note: Your trade-in estimate is valid for 30 days from the day your new phone is delivered.
Even though you can send your trade-in device at any time, if it arrives more than 30 days after your new device was delivered it'll be assessed at current market value instead of your quoted estimate. Current market value is determined by the trade-in terms.
Before you trade inTips to maximize your trade-in value
- Factory reset the device and remove activation locks.
- Ship the device within 30 days of receiving your new phone to ensure the initial trade-in quote does not expire.
- Answer the initial trade-in questions accurately. The initial quote will be based on the information provided, but the final value will be based on what is observed during inspection. Any differences may negatively or positively impact device value.
- Customers may still be able to trade-in devices that fail the below inspections, but they will be offered a lower refund that more accurately reflects the Trade-in Value.
Important: Phones that aren’t reset when we get them will be valued at $0. Before you send us your old phone, factory reset it.
- All manufacturer warranties are void for the phone you’re trading in.
- If the phone you’re trading in has device protection from the Google Store, you’ll get a prorated refund.
- We recommend that you cancel all warranties from other providers before you trade in your phone.
Step 1: Review your trade-in optionsChoose a new phone
If you trade in your old phone, you can get a refund when you buy a new phone.
- Choose a Pixel phone. Then follow the on-screen instructions.
- On the "Have a phone to trade in?" page, select Start trade-in, then follow the on-screen instructions. Select details about the phone to trade in.
Important: Make sure you can factory reset the phone before you send it to us.
- You can find the estimated value for your trade-in phone. It's valid for 30 days from when you receive your new phone.
- To add the new phone to your cart, select Add to cart.
- To begin your trade-in and complete your order, check out.
Tip: After you start your trade-in, you’ll get a confirmation email. Then, we’ll send you a kit with a pre-paid envelope so that you can send your old phone to us.
You can find the status of your trade-in by selecting "Trade-in details" from your order history.
- Confirmed: You started the trade-in process and got an email confirmation.
- Device assessed: We’ve sent you an email with the value of your old device.
- Canceled: You canceled your trade-in before you got your kit.
Step 2: Send us your old phone
You might want to transfer data from your old phone to your new one before you send it to us.
Using the prepaid envelope we sent you, follow these steps:
- Important: Factory reset your old phone through Settings using your manufacturer’s instructions. Do not reset through the Recovery menu. If you don’t factory reset, we can’t give you full credit for your trade-in.
- Remove the SIM card from your old phone.
- Put the phone in the pre-paid envelope from the trade-in kit and attach the shipping label.
- Ship the phone to us through USPS.
Step 3: Get credit for your trade-in
After we get the phone, we’ll review it within 3 business days (US/CA) and within 5 business days (UK/DE/JP)
- If the trade-in device's value matches the estimate: If you purchase a Pixel, we’ll credit the Post-Inspection Value (PIV) to your credit card.
- If the trade-in device's value is lower: If you selected to accept a change in value, we’ll credit you the Post-Inspection Value (PIV).
The estimate you get is based on the device specifications and condition you select. We'll do a full valuation when we get your device.
- Does the device power on?
- Does the Power Button function correctly?
- Are all Activation Locks disabled? (Find My iPhone, Google Lock, and Samsung Lock)
- Is the screen free of cracks, breaks and missing pieces?
- Does the touchscreen work on the entire surface of the phone?
- Is the screen free of any bruising and missing pixels?
- Is the LCD LED Backlight working correctly (the screen is not dark)?
- Is the device otherwise free of breaks or cracks in the housing, keypad, hinge, or battery door?
- Does the device have a swollen battery?
- Cracked Screen
- Damaged Screen
- Bruising (may appear as dead pixels or spots of discoloration)
- Unresponsive Screen
- Major Case Crack
- Minor Case Crack
- Major Scratch
- Camera Broken
- Button/Key Broken
- Power Button Broken
- Battery Missing
- Battery Door Broken
- Case Bent
You might see reason why your trade-in value was affected. For more information about these reasons, see below:
- Phone doesn’t turn on or off: The phone doesn’t turn on, turn off, or there’s a problem with the charger.
- Damaged screen: The screen is cracked, damaged, bruised, missing pixels, or the LCD is dark or burnt out.
- Touch screen doesn’t work: The touch screen isn’t responsive.
- Phone isn’t factory reset: The phone’s activation lock is still on.
- Incorrectly reported phone model: The phone model we received is different from the one you picked.
- Phone shipped more than 30 days after new phone was delivered.
- Phone reported lost or stolen.
- Received package was empty or had miscellaneous item.
(Optional) Cancel trade-in
- If you don't want to process your trade-in, dispose of the Shipping Kit.
- If you sent your device already, you can't cancel the trade-in.
- If you return the phone you bought with your trade-in, you'll receive the trade-in value as a Google Store credit in your account.