To play Stadia games on your TV, you'll need:
- Chromecast Ultra or Chromecast with Google TV connected to your TV, or a supported smart TV or streaming device.
- Note: You can try Stadia on any Google TV or Android TV device, but your gameplay experience might not be optimal if a warning message appears on your TV when you launch Stadia.
- An Internet connection with a connection speed of at least 10 megabits per second (Mbps).
- A Stadia account.
- A Stadia Controller, supported third-party controller or mobile device.
Perform the following steps before you set up Stadia on your TV for the first time:
- Set up your Chromecast Ultra.
- Note: For the best results, connect your Chromecast Ultra to your router with an Ethernet cable. There's an Ethernet port on the Chromecast Ultra's power adaptor.
- Link your Stadia Controller to your Chromecast Ultra.
- Add your Stadia account to your Chromecast Ultra.
- Set up your Google TV or Android TV device.
- Add the Google Account that you used to sign up for Stadia.
- If you have a Bluetooth controller, connect it to your Google TV or Android TV device.
- Use your TV remote or a connected Bluetooth controller to:
- Download the Stadia app from the Play Store.
- Launch the Stadia app on your TV.
- Optional: After you launch Stadia, link a Stadia Controller to your Google TV or Android TV.
Start a game
- On your Stadia Controller, press and hold the Stadia button to power it on. To stop the controller from linking automatically to your TV, press and hold down the button until it rumbles twice and blinks white.
- If you don't see a linking code on your Chromecast Ultra's screen, turn it on in your Ambient Mode settings.
- Select your Stadia account.
- Choose a game to play.
- To start the game you last played, select Play .
- To play a different game, use your Stadia Controller to select a game select Play .
Note: You can use the TV remote that came with Google TV or Android TV to navigate the Stadia menu. If you have a Bluetooth controller, you can connect it to your Android TV or Google TV device to launch the Stadia app and play games.
- Launch the Stadia app on Google TV or Android TV.
- Optional: If you have a Stadia Controller, link it to your screen.
- On your Stadia Controller, press and hold the Stadia button until it rumbles twice and blinks white.
- At the top of the home screen, use your TV remote to select your avatar.
- Use your TV remote to select the controller icon .
- Use your Stadia Controller to enter the linking code displayed on the TV screen press the Stadia button to return to the home screen.
- Select the game that you want to play select Play .
Exit a game
- On your Stadia Controller, press and hold the Stadia button .
- On a third-party controller, press the Home button. You can also press Back on the TV remote that came with your Google TV or Android TV.
- Select Exit game.
Note: After you exit a game, you can choose another game from your library to play.
Shut down or exit Stadia
- On a Stadia Controller, press and hold the Stadia button .
- Select Exit Stadia or Shut down Stadia.
- On a third-party controller:
- On Samsung smart TVs, press the Home button to open the side menu select Shut down Stadia. You can also press Back on the TV remote that came with your TV select Exit Stadia.
- On Google TV, Android TV, Chromecast or other compatible smart TVs, press and hold the Home button on a connected third-party controller select Exit Stadia.
On some Stadia-compatible Android TVs, your Stadia Controller will stay on when you exit Stadia and can be used to navigate the Android TV user interface. On other devices, such as Chromecast Ultra, your Stadia Controller will vibrate and the light on the Stadia button will turn off automatically when you shut down Stadia.
To manually turn off your Stadia Controller, press and hold the Stadia button until the status light turns off. It will also turn off automatically after five minutes of no activity on the controller.
Link more than one controller to the same TV
You can link up to four controllers to play local multiplayer games on your TV. Each player who uses a Stadia Controller needs to enter the same linking code, which will be unique to each TV or streaming device.
- From the Stadia home screen, press the Stadia button on your linked Stadia Controller.
- Select the controller icon to display the linking code on your TV screen.
- On an additional Stadia Controller, press and hold the Stadia button until it rumbles twice and the button blinks white.
- Use the additional controller to enter the linking code displayed on the TV screen.
Note: If more than one player plugs an audio headset into their Stadia Controller during a local multiplayer game, only one player will hear audio. When that player disconnects their headset, the audio will switch to another player's headset.
Add new friends on your TV
- Sign in to your Stadia account on your TV.
- On your Stadia Controller, press the Stadia button .
- Select Friends.
- Send friend requests to recently met players.
Learn more about parties and voice chat.
You must exit a game before you can switch to a different Stadia account.
- On the Stadia home screen, press and hold the Stadia button .
- On Google TV, Android TV or a Stadia-compatible smart TV, you can also press the back button on the TV remote that came with your device.
- Select Switch accounts.
- Select the account that you want to switch to.
You can cast Stadia from your computer or mobile device to your Chromecast Ultra, Android TV or Google TV.
Note: Casting to Stadia-compatible smart TVs is not currently supported.
Cast from the Stadia app to your TV
- On your mobile device, open the Stadia app .
- Tap the game that you'd like to play.
- Tap the drop-down menu choose your device.
- Tap Play .
Cast from stadia.com to your TV
- On your computer, use Google Chrome to sign in to your account on stadia.com.
- In your browser window, at the top right, click Menu .
- Click Cast select your device.
Check your connection status
You can check your Internet connection status during gameplay on your TV:
- On your Stadia Controller, press the Stadia button .
- On a third-party controller, press the Home button.
- Select Connection.
The connection panel displays information about your connection status, as well as information about 4K, HDR and 5.1 surround sound.
BLUETOOTH is a registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc.