Playing Stadia with Chromecast Ultra
- A Chromecast Ultra
- A Stadia Controller
- A Stadia account
- A TV
- An internet connection with a connection speed of at least 10 megabits per second (Mbps).
First time setup
- Set up your Chromecast Ultra.
- Note: For best results, connect your Chromecast Ultra to your router with an Ethernet cable. You’ll find an Ethernet port on the Chromecast power adapter.
- Link your Stadia controller to your Chromecast
- Add your Stadia account to Chromecast.
Learn more about how to get the best results from your Chromecast and TV.
Learn about your Stadia Controller.
Start a game
- Turn on your Stadia Controller
- If you last played on this Chromecast, Stadia should automatically start once you turn on your controller.
- If you’re playing on a different Chromecast, or auto-link is disabled, enter the linking code on the TV screen.
- Select your account.
- Choose a game.
- To start your last played game, select Play.
- The rest of your games are in a carousel-style format that you can access by navigating down with your directional pad or stick.
Note: There is no store on Chromecast. You must purchase all games in the Stadia mobile app. The Chromecast will only show the games you’ve already purchased.
If you are playing on a child’s supervised account, and have not requested permission to play a game, that game will not show up on Chromecast. You will need to request to play in the Stadia mobile app on your phone. When your parent approves your request, the game will show up on Chromecast.
Exit a game or shut down Stadia
Exit a game
- While in a game, press and hold the Stadia button on your controller until the platform menu appears on the TV screen.
- Select Exit game.
You can now start playing another game in your Stadia library.
Shut down Stadia
- While on the Stadia homescreen, press and hold the Stadia button on your controller until the platform menu appears on the TV screen.
- Select Shut down Stadia.
When shutdown is complete, you’ll feel your controller vibrate, and the Stadia button light will turn off. Stadia will no longer be displayed on your TV screen.
Note: When you follow these steps to shut down Stadia, your controller stays linked to this Chromecast. If you start a new Stadia session with the same controller and Chromecast, you won’t need to re-enter the linking code.
Link more than one controller
You can link up to 4 controllers to play a local multiplayer game. In order to link multiple controllers to a single screen, each controller will need to enter the same linking code, which is unique to the Chromecast you are playing on.
- The first player links their controller and presses the Stadia button to open the Stadia menu on the TV screen.
- The first player selects Controller.
- The next player presses and holds the Stadia button on their controller to turn it on.
- When their Stadia button blinks white, the next player enters the linking code on the Controller menu.
Add new friends on Chromecast
- Press the Stadia button on your controller to open the Stadia menu on the TV screen.
- Navigate to Friends and press A to browse recently met players.
Learn about parties and voice chat on Chromecast.
There are two ways to disable auto-link.
- While on the Stadia homescreen
- Press and hold the Stadia button on your controller until the platform menu appears on the TV screen.
- Select Unlink and turn off controller from the platform menu.
- When you turn on your controller
- Press and hold the Stadia button for 3 seconds.
If you are playing a game, you must exit the game before you can switch accounts.
- While on the Stadia homescreen, press and hold Stadia button on your controller until the platform menu appears on the TV screen.
- Select Switch accounts.
- Select the account you want.
Play on a new Chromecast
- Set up the new Chromecast.
- Press and hold the Stadia button on your controller until the light blinks white and you feel the controller vibrate.
- Enter the linking code on the TV screen.
- If you’re playing on the same network as a Chromecast your controller has recently been linked to, you might want to unlink your controller from that Chromecast. To do so, power on your controller by holding the Stadia button for 3 seconds.
Cast your game to your TV
Cast from your Chrome browser
- Open stadia.com in your Chrome browser.
- In the top right, click Menu.
- Click Cast select your Chromecast Ultra.
Cast from the Stadia mobile app
- Open the Stadia app on your phone.
- Choose a game you’d like to play from your library.
- Under Play, tap the drop down menu.
- Choose the Chromecast Ultra you’d like to play on.
Important: Chromecast Ultra is the only Chromecast that will support playing Stadia at launch. The Chromecast Ultra bundled with your controller comes with support for Stadia. Stadia support for all versions of Chromecast Ultra is coming soon.
Check your connection status
You can check your internet connection during a game on Chromecast.
- To check your connection status, press the Stadia button to open the Stadia menu on the TV screen.
- Select Connection.
Learn more about the Connection panel and streaming quality on Stadia.
Learn how to troubleshoot connection issues.