You can play Stadia games on your iPhone or iPad by creating a web app shortcut that uses the Safari browser. To get started, you'll need:
- A Stadia account. It's easy to create one for free.
- An iPhone or iPad with iOS version 14.3 or greater.
- At least one game in your Stadia library. After you create an account, you can purchase games in the Stadia store or sign up for Stadia Pro to claim games for free.
Support for Stadia on iOS is a feature still in development. Some Stadia features may not be available on iOS, or may not function properly. Your gameplay experience may vary depending on your mobile device and the quality of your network connection.
If you experience issues with Stadia on iOS, please refer to our iOS troubleshooting guide.
For the best experience on your iPhone or iPad, follow the steps below to add a web shortcut to Stadia to your device's home screen. You'll only need to perform these steps once.
- On your iPhone or iPad, launch the Safari app.
- Navigate to stadia.com and sign into your Stadia account.
- A prompt will appear letting you know you can play in your browser. Select Got it.
- The Stadia home screen will appear in Safari.
- In Safari, select the Share icon .
- On an iPhone, this icon appears at the bottom of your phone's screen.
- On an iPad, this icon appears at the top right of your tablet's screen.
- A share menu will appear. Select the "Add to Home Screen" option. It will appear next to a plus icon .
- Return to your device's home screen and tap the Stadia web app icon . This web icon has a different design than the Stadia app available from the App Store.
Whenever you want to play Stadia on your iPhone or iPad, just tap the Stadia web app icon .
Note: For more information about Safari features, go to the Safari support site. Although you cannot play games with the Stadia app that's available from the App Store, you can use it to set up a new Stadia Controller and add games to your library.
Follow the instructions below to use the Stadia Controller or a supported third-party Bluetooth Controller to play Stadia on your iPhone or iPad.
- If you're using a Stadia Controller with your Wi-Fi network for the first time, set it up in the Stadia app .
- After your controller is set up on your Wi-Fi network, open the Stadia app and tap the Controller icon to check if updates need to be applied to your controller.
- Sign into Stadia and link your Stadia Controller wirelessly to your iPhone or iPad.
Third-party Bluetooth controllers
Supported controllers include the DualShock 4 Controller and the Xbox One Controller. To use them with Stadia, just connect them with Bluetooth to your iOS device.
Note: Wired controllers are not officially supported with Stadia on iOS at this time.
I want to play Stadia on my iPhone or iPad but don't have a Stadia account. How do I sign up?
Learn how to sign up for a free Stadia account here.
I created my Stadia account. How do I start playing games on iOS?
Follow the instructions at the top of this article to add a Stadia icon to your device's home screen. After you add the icon, just tap it whenever you want to play Stadia on your iPhone or iPad.
To play Stadia, do I have to add a web app shortcut to my home screen?
For the best experience, we recommend you create the web app icon on your device's home screen. Setup takes less than a minute and you only need to do it once.
What controllers are supported for Stadia on iOS?
If you have a Stadia Controller, you can link it wirelessly to your device. Some Bluetooth gamepads are also supported. See above for details.
I don't have a controller. Can I play games using the screen on my iPhone or iPad?
Yes. If you don't have a controller, you can enable the touch gamepad when you launch a game.
Can I play Stadia on my iOS device using a mobile data connection?
You can play on your iOS device using mobile data. However, the experience is not optimized, and may use a significant amount of data. For the best experience, we recommend connecting your device to your Wi-Fi network. If you play Stadia using your mobile data plan, we recommend that you track your data usage to avoid unexpected charges.
Read these tips if you have issues playing Stadia on your iPhone or iPad:
When I turn on my Stadia Controller, it links to my Chromecast Ultra. How can I link it to my iPhone or iPad?
When you turn on your Stadia Controller, disable auto-linking by holding down the Stadia button for 3 seconds. The controller will rumble twice. Next, use the controller to enter the linking code that appears on your iPhone or iPad.
I entered the linking code on my Stadia Controller, but it won't link to my iPhone or iPad. What can I do?
If you're having trouble linking a Stadia Controller to your iPhone or iPad, make sure the controller has the latest firmware update applied to it before you try again:
- Turn off your Stadia Controller press the Stadia button to turn it on again.
- Wait up to 15 seconds until the controller rumbles and the status light blinks white.
- Press and hold the Stadia button until the controller rumbles and the status light turns off.
- Set the controller down for 5 minutes. The latest firmware update will be applied automatically.
To ensure the latest firmware update is applied, you can also reconnect your Stadia Controller to your Wi-Fi network.
My game was interrupted when I received a call or switched apps on my iPhone or iPad. How can I keep playing?
If the Stadia web app gets put in the background and your game is interrupted or your controller doesn't reconnect, shut down the app completely and then restart it.
My game was interrupted and my controller won't reconnect. How can I keep playing?
If your controller won't reconnect after your game was interrupted, shut down the Stadia web app completely and then restart it.
The address bar in my browser takes up a large portion of the screen. Can I remove it?
For the best full-screen experience on your iPhone or iPad, add the Stadia web app to your home screen.
I'm playing in portrait orientation, but the game is hard to see. Can I resize it?
For the best experience, rotate your device to landscape orientation while you play.
Stadia requires the latest version of iOS. To update your browser, go to the system settings on your iPhone or iPad and update your system software.