Beginner's guide to creating a site
Step 2: Creating your site
- Sign in at sites.google.com.
- Click Create.
- Select a template to use. If this is your first website, we recommend choosing a simple template; for example, the Classroom site template.
Alert: If you decide to change your site’s template later, all of your previous edits will be deleted. To save your content or photos you’ve uploaded from your original site, make a copy your site. In the top-right corner, click the gear icon , select Manage site, and click Copy this site.
- Name your site. Don’t worry, you can always change your site’s name later if you want to.
- Name and customize your site location (URL). All sites have the same basic URL but you can customize the last part:
When you’re creating a custom URL, keep in mind:
- You can only use a-z, 0-9.
- It can’t be the same as an existing URL or Gmail username (unless it's your own).
- The entire URL can be up to 600 characters long.
- Choose a theme. A theme automatically creates a background image, font style, and font colors for your site. If you leave this blank, by default, your selected template will set this up for you. You can also change your theme or add to it after the site has been created.
- In the More options section, consider these optional features:
- Site categories: Add one or more categories for your site separated by commas.
- Site description: Add a short description for your site to help people find your page.
- At the top of the screen, click Create to create your website.
Now that you’ve created your site, you can start adding text, images, videos, and more.