Errors while mapping your site to a Google Apps domain
Say that your site URL is http://sites.google.com/site/mysite/, and then you purchase the domain example.com using Google Apps. When you try to map your existing site to the new domain, you'll see this error message: 'This location is already in use by another service, please pick a different one.'
The reason you get this message is that when you sign up for Google Apps, we automatically create a site at http://www.example.com mapped to http://sites.google.com/a/example.com/www. When you try to map http://sites.google.com/site/mysite/ to http://www.example.com, this doesn't work, because we've already mapped it for you.
Here's how you can solve this problem:
- Sign in to the control panel at www.google.com/a/example.com.
- Click the Settings tab and then select Sites in the left column.
- Click the Web Address Mapping tab, where you'll see the www mapping. Select the checkbox and click the Delete mapping button.
- Click Domain Settings tab.
- Click the Domain names tab.
- Under the Primary Domain section, click the Advanced DNS Settings link, and read instructions on how to sign in to the DNS registrar's website (either GoDaddy or eNom).
- Sign in to the DNS registrar, and map the CNAME of www to ghs.google.com.
- Try to set the web address mapping of http://sites.google.com/site/mysite/ to http://www.example.com.