DoubleClick Digital Marketing transitioning to HTML5 for video ads in 2017
In the coming quarters, all major browsers are phasing out the use of Flash technologies in favor of HTML5. With HTML5 creatives, you can securely reach the widest audience across devices and screens.
Following the transition to HTML5 for display ads across Google and DoubleClick’s platforms, we’ve announced that video ads on DoubleClick Digital Marketing are going 100% HTML5 in 2017. For users of DoubleClick Bid Manager, DoubleClick Campaign Manager, and DoubleClick Studio, there are two key dates:
- April 3, 2017: New Flash video creatives are no longer accepted.
- July 3, 2017: No Flash video creatives will serve, and our Active View and Verification measurement solutions will no longer use Flash.
These dates apply only to video ads. Learn more about the changes for display ads here.
No new Flash uploads since April 3, 2017
The ability to upload or create new Flash video creatives has been removed from Studio, DCM, and Bid Manager as of April 3, 2017:
- Studio: Flash VPAID creatives cannot be published to DCM.
- DCM and Bid Manager:
- You cannot upload Flash (.flv) files or third-party VAST tags containing only Flash assets. You can, however, upload a third-party VAST tag that contains both Flash- and HTML5-based assets until July 3.
- You can no longer copy Flash VPAID creatives and creatives with a Flash (.flv) source file.
- DCM and Bid Manager no longer transcodes video creatives into .flv serving files.
- You can replace Flash assets in existing creatives with non-Flash assets (“swapping” assets).
Any Flash creatives or .flv transcodes you’re already serving from DCM and Bid Manager will function as normal until the July 3, 2017 changes.
How to prepare: Make sure any new creatives you plan to traffic after April 3 use HTML5 or a non-Flash alternative.
- Build HTML5 VPAID creatives in Google Web Designer
- Add HTML5 VPAID linear creatives in Studio.
- Traffic HTML5 VPAID in DCM.
- Forecast for and serve HTML5 VPAID in Bid Manager.
No Flash creatives serve starting on July 3, 2017
No Flash video creatives will serve from Bid Manager or DCM starting on July 3, 2017. Our Active View and Verification tools will also no longer use Flash adapters for measurement.
- Flash VPAID and .flv assets will no longer serve.
- Third-party VAST tags that contain any Flash cannot be uploaded and will not serve. This includes assets that have both Flash and HTML5, which cannot be uploaded and will not serve.
- DCM and Bid Manager will no longer serve existing .flv transcoded serving files.
- The VPAID adapter used for Active View and Verification for video ads will no longer be available in Flash.
How to prepare: Any existing creative you’re using will need to be replaced with a non-Flash alternative. Make sure your creative developers have time to build alternative assets before this point.
FAQsWill publishers also transition to only accepting HTML5?
Yes. The same dates discussed above apply to publishers using DoubleClick for Publishers and DoubleClick Ad Exchange. We are also working closely with publishers, who control the technology selection and video player options on their sites and apps, to help with the transition to HTML5 video players.
Active View and Verification support an HTML5 VPAID adapter used for measurement purposes. Measurement coverage, however, is dependent on publishers adopting HTML5 VPAID. If you’re using other measurement partners, reach out to them to find out when they will support a Flashless solution.