Rich Media creatives
Build your creative
- If you're using a production team, you must provide the following assets (more details listed at the bottom of this article):
You can also quickly build Rich Media creatives without needing Flash or HTML5 assets by using Studio Layouts.
- All final Flash files (FLAs) and all loaded assets (XML files, AS files, audio clips, game icons, etc.)
- Backup GIFs for each ad size
- Exit (clickthrough) URLs, and which portion of the banner should be clickable
- The operating system (OS) and Flash version on which the files were built, and the Flash player you'd like the files published to
- Working SWFs
- All fonts used in the creative
- All video/audio assets (FLV or unencoded video).
- Your tracking requirements
Additional asset informationFlash files
- Distribute the weight. FLAs should be split up as much as possible to maintain an initial load of 30K. Send both parent and child Flash files, if used.
- Avoid using
_rootcoding, which conflicts with DoubleClick tracking root calls. Use
- Avoid using shared libraries.
- The FLAs in your creative should be entirely in AS2 format or entirely in AS3 format.
Working SWFs are required to help our team match the intended function and timing of the creative. In the QA process, the SWFs are compared to the built-out unit to make sure it closely matches the original files.
You must supply all fonts used in a creative and indicate which OS (PC or Mac) the creatives were built in. Upload PC fonts to our FTP server in a zip file and upload Mac fonts in a StuffIt file. You can also break up your fonts by pressing Ctrl+B on Windows, and Apple+B on a Mac.
- Asset delivery: For all video and audio assets (FLVs or unencoded videos) please send them in digital format, providing one of the following:
- an MOV; we can compress it into three broadband sizes: high, medium, and low FLVs
- up to three FLVs that are already compressed (high, mid, low)
- one standard FLV to be used for all three bandwidths
- Synching animation with video: If you're synching animation with video, it's best to load the video from an external SWF containing your embedded video on the main timeline. Use keyframes in the video timeline to call functions that execute the animations.
- Scrubber bars: Using a scrubber bar prevents accurate reporting of the video. We strongly recommend using a timeline indicator or progress bar instead.
- Control panel: Include a panel to control the video. Most websites require Play, Pause, Stop, and Audio on/off (mute) controls.
- Video length: Many websites allow only 15-30 seconds of video. If you have longer video, remember:
- Most websites insist on a click-to-continue button.
- Make sure you have site acceptance before submitting your assets.
- Speak to your Rich Media salesperson to address additional costs.
Creatives can contain up to 100 unique custom events in addition to standard tracking. Our Audience Interactive Metrics let you measure the effectiveness of every aspect of an ad campaign.
Tracking type Examples Event Number of times an ad was expanded
Number of times a user played a game within an ad
Exit Clicks on the exit link(s) in an ad Timer Amount of time spent in the expanded portion of an ad
Decide which features you want to track and if you'd like to use specific identifiers or naming conventions for your exits or events.Rich Media ads can't be completed without a clear indication of what you're tracking.
- If you're not using a post-production team, see the Creative agency build guide for information on building creatives in DoubleClick Studio.