Traffic a separate companion banner placement
You must traffic the companion banner as a separate placement if you're:
- Running a Studio In-page creative as the companion banner or a non-linear banner
- Tracking multiple companion banner sizes separately. Overall companion banner clicks are tracked by the Video Companion Clicks metric, but you must create separate placements to track different companion sizes separately.
Once you've created a separate In-page placement, you can add an iframe tag for a separate companion banner placement into your In-Stream Video creative. Here's how:
- On the Media Plan tab of the campaign, create a regular In-page placement set to the size of your companion banner. For example, 300x250.
- On the Creatives tab, upload the companion banner SWF as a new creative and assign the creative to that In-page placement.
- On the Tags tab of the campaign, generate the iframe version of the companion banner placement and keep that tag handy.
- When creating your In-Stream Video creative, add the URL of the iframe tag to the Ad URL field of the Companion Ads section. Replace [timestamp] with the
%nmacro. The iframe URL you add should look something like this:
- You only need to traffic the pre-fetch tag of the In-Stream Video placement to the site. The companion banner iframe tag has already been added to the In-Stream Video creative.
Rotate multiple video-companion banner combos on one In-Stream Video tag
When managing multiple videos and/or multiple companion banners, build each video and companion pair as a separate creative in DFA Trafficking. Then assign all creatives to the same ad rotation. This way, you can control the rotation of your various In-Stream Video creatives at the Ad level, just as you would for standard Flash or Rich Media in DFA Trafficking.
- To rotate multiple pairs of videos and companion banners, build the following creatives and assign them to one ad rotation: Video1_Companion1, Video2_Companion2, Video3_Companion3
- To rotate one video with multiple companion banners, build the following creatives and assign them to one ad rotation: Video1_Companion1, Video1_Companion2, Video1_Companion3
- To rotate multiple videos with one companion banner, build the following creatives and assign them to one ad rotation: Video1_Companion1, Video2_Companion1, Video3_Companion1
Add brand study tags
- You can add 1x1 pixel URLs to the Third-Party URLs section of the In-Stream Video creative.
- For sites that don't offer this support, there's a known workaround to traffic the companion banner as a separate placement and fire the survey URL from the companion banner.
- To add unique brand study tags to your separately trafficked companion banner, see Add a third-party pixel to a creative.
- You can't add brand study tags directly to image creatives. To add brand study tags to a JPG or GIF, build your ad as a Custom In-page creative.
Customize click-through by site or placement
For In-Stream Video, the video, companion, and non-linear click-through URLs are customized at the creative level, not at the ad level. To customize click-throughs by site or placement, build a separate creative for each site or placement by following these steps:
- Build your In-Stream Video creative.
- In the Creatives tab, make a copy of your creative for each site or placement.
- Open each copy and customize the Video Details, Companion Ads, and/or Non-Linear Ads click-through URLs for each site or placement.
- Assign each customized creative to the appropriate site or placement.