Autocompletions shows users useful queries while they are typing. For example, with autocompletions enabled, when someone starts typing "ta" into your search engine, they might see autocompletions like "tavern" or "tapestry." Google generates these autocompletions by analyzing several characteristics of your search engine, including the content of the pages it includes.
Note: Autocompletions are only generated for search engines receiving search traffic. If your search engine isn't receiving any traffic it will only have custom autocompletions.
Turn on autocompletions:
- From the control panel, select the search engine you want to edit.
- Click Search features from the menu on the left and then click the Autocomplete tab.
- Click on the slider to set Enable autocomplete to On. It can take up to 2-4 days for autocompletions tailored to your search engine to start appearing.
Entire web autocompletions
Autocompletions tailored to your search engine are generated based on the sites you include in your search engine. However, since those may be insufficient, additional autocompletions are available through the Include autocompletions from the entire web option. These additional autocompletions are available instantly, but are not tailored to your specific search engine and are not affected by exclude queries or exclude patterns.
While Google will suggest autocompletions automatically, you have several options for manually adding or removing autocompletions. In the Autocomplete tab, you can add:
- Included: Autocompletions you add here will always be shown when a user types a matching query. You can also add a score of any number between 0 and 10,000 to rank autocompletions. Higher scored autocompletions will be shown before lower scored autocompletions.
- Excluded: Autocompletions you add here will never be shown, even when the user types a matching query.
- Excluded patterns: You can use regular expressions to exclude any autocompletions that match a certain pattern.
Note: You can add up to 20,000 included, excluded, and excluded pattern custom autocompletions.