When you enable search results sorting, Programmable Search Engine automatically lets you sort results by date and by relevance. If you use PageMaps, meta tags, or rich snippets markup to create structured data on your pages, you can enable also sorting by additional properties used in your markup.
For example, if your content is marked up with Reviews rich snippets, you could enable sorting by rating (number of stars) or other numerical key. If your content includes a PageMap identifying a publication, you can sort results by Publication Date.
Enable search results sorting:
- On the Control Panel, click Search features, and then click Advanced.
- In the Search Preferences section at the end of the page, select the Enable results sorting checkbox.
By default Programmable Search Engine enables sorting of results by relevancy and by date. If that's all you want, click Save Changes.
- (Optional) To add a custom sorting key:
- Click Add Key.
- In the Key Label box, type the property you want to sort by. This should exactly match the DataObject name (PageMaps) or property (rich snippets) used for your content. (To see the available keys, use the rich snippets testing tool.)
- In the Key box, type the key name you want to appear on the search results page. Users will click this name to sort results.
- Click OK.
- Click Save Changes.