About Web Security
Note: Web Security is no longer available for purchase. Google will continue to support this product for existing customers.
The web security service is a managed service that provides protection from web-based security threats such as malware, spyware, adware, phishing, and browser-based viruses. Additionally, you can restrict access to “blacklisted” web sites or objectionable URLs, and set individual or group policies according to your corporate guidelines.
Web security automatically scans all web traffic (HTTP, FTP-over-HTTP), and blocks viruses before they reach your network, including trojans, viruses, worms, diallers, and malware.
The service provides real-time scanning with no delays to Internet access. Web Security is hosted on Google servers and is automatically updated to provide up-to-date security with no software for you to install.
The web security service includes the following features:
- Protection from web pages that deliver embedded viruses and worms.
- Blocking of phishing, spyware, and adware attacks from web pages.
- Ability to allow or disallow access to specific URLs. Prevents access to inappropriate web content.
- Enforces web page access policies and provides usage reports to increase employee productivity. Includes a full set of reporting by user, department, or an entire organization.
- Ease of configuration within the Administration Console allows you to create policies that suit your specific corporate and organizational needs.
- Enables you to set policies based on URL categories, content MIME-type, and file extensions, as well as time-of-day restrictions and bandwidth quotas.
- Ability to send customized messages to users when access is denied.
Web Security includes two main components: Web Scanning and Web Filtering. You can choose from the following combinations of these components when purchasing the service:
- Web Scanning: Includes the Web Virus and Spyware features. The Web Virus feature blocks all web content that contains malicious programs and viruses before it enters the network. The Spyware feature blocks all web content for spyware, adware, and phishing attempts.
- Web Filtering: Includes the Filtering feature only. Filtering permits or blocks access to particular web sites based on URL categories, content, and file type.
- Complete: Includes the Web Scanning and Web Filtering components (in other words, the complete set of the Web Virus, Spyware, and Filtering features).
- Connector: An additional component that enables you to apply user- and group-based filtering policies.
Was this article helpful?