/poly/community?hl=en
This content is likely not relevant anymore. Try searching or browse recent questions.
How to use Tour Creator tours w/Google Cardboard in IOS 13?
We have Tour Creator tours for use in language courses. We send the published tour links to students, who open them on their phones (mostly iphones) and use google cardboard to view them. 

All our published tours suddenly stopped working in late 2019 on devices running IOS 13, because the ability to access motion & orientation settings is now gone from IOS Safari settings. 

Please HELP! I have tried downloading other browsers (chrome & firefox) on phones running IOS 13 and using those does NOT solve the problem. We did a very labor-intensive work-around via expeditions, but surely there's a better way? 

Please help! We've done so much work that's now quite inaccessible...
Details
Pinned
Latest Update Latest Updates (0)
Relevant Answer Relevant Answers (0)
All Replies (5)
Relevant Answer
Hi Hope,

I'm sorry you are experiencing issues viewing your Tours in Google Cardboard. When using Tour Creator, we advise using Chrome. Did you receive any error messages when attempting to view your tours in Chrome?

Did you know that you can view your Tour Creator tours on the Expeditions app? (Is this the work around you're talking about?). 

I can look further into if there is any way resolve the iOS 13 issue, but in the meantime this is what I advise you try:
  • Have your students download the Expeditions app and login using the same gmail account they use for Tour Creator
  • When you send your students the tour link, ask them to "Like" the tour
  • Once they have liked the tour, your students can go to the Expeditions app, click on "Library" and then "My Tours". The tours they "like" on Tour Creator, will generate there.
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Unfortunately that doesn't really solve the problem of not being able to use google tour creator with google cardboard. 

Previously, we used to send students the published tour creator link, via email, and they were able to open it easily inside any browser on their phone, then select the "VR" symbol, and view the tour in VR with use of a google cardboard. That is, until IOS 13 took away motion/orientation settings access. 

The workaround that I tried previously in Expeditions is essentially what you've recommended, and frankly, to use Expeditions took too much time. You see, once I put the tour into expeditions, I had to then open the expedition on my own phone to get the link to it and email it to myself (how else do you get the link?I would love an easier way). And then, that link did not work for all students, so we had to create a second link from the preview.page.link of the expedition, in a browser, and then send students both links, hoping ONE of them would work. This was just too complicated. Requiring students to download expeditions is a barrier  (some of them don't have space to do so). Requiring students to download the chrome browser is also a barrier, AND it does not appear to work, on phones running IOS 13. Even opening the tour creator tour in chrome browser via IOS 13, I get the message 

We want students to be able to get to GOOGLE tour creator tours via links they can open on their phone and then put their phone into GOOGLE cardboard headsets. We'd really love to see more GOOGLE support for this. I know other apps have found a way via some settings changes--that's what I see when I GOOGLE this problem! Thanks a lot--hope this can be fixed!
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Hi Hope,

It looks like, as you stated, that with iOS 13, they removed the option to enable the Motion & Orientation Access in your settings. According to this article, this was resolved this past November. I would try seeing if there is an update available on your device. If the issue persists, I'm afraid that this is an issue with iOS phone settings and not with Tour Creator. 

In regards to your question about getting a link to share with your students, you do not need a link generated from the Expeditions App. You can share the web link of your tour to your students as you would normally. Once your students "like" your tour on Tour Creator, it will automatically generate in their library in the Expeditions App so long as they are signed in using the same gmail account. Expeditions is also designed to work with Google Cardboard. Apologies if I am misunderstanding your comments on this part of the process.

It sounds like you have a lot of valuable feedback in regards to your experience with usability. This feedback is important have. If you are willing, and would like to send your concerns directly to the Expeditions and Tour Creator team, you can do so by using the "send feedback" feature for either product. Submitting through this channel allows for more visibility. 

marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
Thanks for your reply, and I will try to send feedback as well. I would just finally note that I have tried all the fixes and the issue is not resolved--the fix you mention is for thinglink, not for the problem of IOS motion & orientation.

I do understand that this is an IOS problem and not tour creator. However, it seems that other entities that host 360 content have created ways around this within their apps, and I hope that might happen with tour creator as well...
marked this as an answer
Relevant Answer
This is the sort of fix I have seen other entities using, and while I don't think any of it applies to tour creator currently, it's what i see other entities doing...
marked this as an answer
This question is locked and replying has been disabled.
Discard post? You will lose what you have written so far.
Write a reply
10 characters required
Failed to attach file, click here to try again.
Discard post?
You will lose what you have written so far.
Personal information found

We found the following personal information in your message:

This information will be visible to anyone who visits or subscribes to notifications for this post. Are you sure you want to continue?

A problem occurred. Please try again.
Create Reply
Edit Reply
This will remove the reply from the Answers section.
Notifications are off
Your notifications are currently off and you won't receive subscription updates. To turn them on, go to Notifications preferences on your Profile page.
Report abuse
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
What type of post are you reporting?
Google takes abuse of its services very seriously. We're committed to dealing with such abuse according to the laws in your country of residence. When you submit a report, we'll investigate it and take the appropriate action. We'll get back to you only if we require additional details or have more information to share.

Go to the Legal Help page to request content changes for legal reasons.

Reported post for abuse
Unable to send report.
This reply is no longer available.
/poly/threads
//accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin
You'll receive email notifications for new posts at
Unable to delete question.
Unable to update vote.
Unable to update subscription.
You have been unsubscribed
Deleted
Unable to delete reply.
Removed from Answers
Removed from Updates
Marked as Recommended Answer
Marked as Update
Removed recommendation
Undo
Unable to update reply.
Unable to update vote.
Thank you. Your response was recorded.
Unable to undo vote.
Thank you. This reply will now display in the answers section.
Link copied
Unlocked
Unable to lock
Unable to unlock
Pinned
Unpinned
Unable to pin
Unable to unpin
Marked
Unmarked
Unable to mark
Reported as off topic