Remixing and Creative Commons
Remixing allows others to download, edit, and republish your creation. If you allow remixing, your content will be published under a CC-BY license. We’ll automatically show attribution on any remixed content that is published from Tilt Brush or Blocks.
Creative Commons licenses provide a standard way for content creators to grant someone else permission to use their work. If you allow remixing, your content will be published under a CC-BY 3.0 license. These creations are then accessible to other Poly users for use, even commercially, in their own creations, provided they give attribution to the original author.
Licensing your content
You can choose whether your content can be remixed by selecting from the "Allow remixing" or "Don't allow remixing" options under "Remixes" each time you publish. By default this option is set to "Allow remixing". You can change this setting at any time, even after publishing.
If you don't allow remixing, your content will be published under the standard Google Terms of Service.
Attribution is required under the CC-BY license. Any remix published from Tilt Brush or Blocks will automatically credit the author underneath the 3D viewer. For remixes based off of downloaded objects that are manually uploaded to Poly, attribution is not automatic so the remixer must credit the author in the description.
See Creative Commons’ Best Practices for Attribution for advice on how to provide attribution.
Deleting remixable content
If you delete a remixable asset, then it will be hidden from all pages on Poly and disassociated from your account. However, existing remixes of your asset will not be removed, as this remix was created while the remixed asset was under the CC-BY license.
Changing remix settings
If you change the settings of an asset to make it non-remixable, then no new users will be able to download that asset or create new remixes of it from that point forward. However, existing remixes of your asset will not be removed, as these remixes were created while the remixed asset was under the CC-BY license.
What's eligible for remixing
You may only mark your published creation as remixable if it consists entirely of content licensable by you under the CC-BY license. Some examples of such licensable content are:
- Your originally created content
- Content derived from other creations marked with a CC-BY license, where you provide attribution to the original authors
You can use remixable content as a starting point for your own creations, as long as you provide attribution to the author.
- Clicking the Like button on a Poly view page for a remixable (CC-BY) asset will make that asset available for use in Tilt Brush. This assumes you’re logged into Poly with the same account that you use for Tilt Brush.
When you publish your remixed creation from Tilt Brush, Poly will automatically credit the author of any assets you remixed, underneath the 3D viewer.
- Clicking the Like button on a Poly view page for a remixable (CC-BY) asset created in Blocks will make that asset available for use in Blocks. This assumes you’re logged into Poly with the same account that you use for Blocks.
- When you publish your remixed creation from Blocks, Poly will automatically credit the author of any assets you remixed, underneath the 3D viewer.
- A download button is available for a remixable asset on the asset’s Poly view page for you to take remixable assets into any other app.
- When you publish your remixed creation, you must provide attribution to the authors of all assets you remixed, using the description field.