Global privacy laws, including the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), apply to entities such as websites and applications that target or direct themselves to children. Developers and publishers of child-directed websites and applications are responsible for using Google services according to their obligations under the law and in compliance with Google policies. Note that the definition of "child" varies under applicable law(s), including under COPPA and GDPR.
Google offers developers and publishers tools, listed below, to designate a website or an application as child-directed in whole or in part, for the purposes of children’s privacy laws.
It is important for developers and publishers to also be aware that even without notice from them, in some cases Google may begin to treat their application or website as child-directed pursuant to Google’s own legal obligations.
Google offers developers/publishers the following tools to designate a website or an application as child-directed to Google in whole or in part for the purposes of children’s privacy laws. Please note these tools do not relieve any particular developer/publisher of its own legal obligations.
- To tag a website as child-directed in whole or in part, please visit the Search Console Help Center
- Play Apps
- To designate the target audience of a Play application please see Target Audience and Content Application
- iOS Apps
- An iOS self-declaration feature for child-directed apps is currently under development. To tag your iOS app as child-directed, please contact your Google Account Manager.
Policies and Tools Applicable to Child-Directed Developers/Publishers
Various Google offerings, including Ads, Google API Services, YouTube, and Play, may also require developers/publishers to comply with specific policy requirements in order to address children’s privacy laws. Please review the resources below for additional information:
- Google API Services Policy
- Google API Services: User Data Policy (applicable to Google API Services, including Google Sign in and Play Games Services)
- Play Families Policy and Designed for Families Program Requirements