Check the connections
Please click the relevant link below to see installation instructions for your barcode scanner and make sure the Pointy box is connected accordingly. There must be no adapters (or additional adapters in the case of non-UBS installations) between the barcode scanner, Pointy box, and the POS.
- USB installation
- PS/2 installation
- RJ45/CAT5 installation
- Externally-powered USB installation
- RS-232 installation
You can also check out our installation videos here:
- How to connect Pointy to a USB barcode scanner
- How to connect Pointy to a PS2 barcode scanner
- How to connect Pointy to a serial barcode scanner
- How to connect Pointy to an RJ45 barcode scanner
Barcode scanner/point of sale issues
If your POS or barcode scanner isn't working properly, try restarting your POS. Make sure you know your login codes/passwords. If the issue persists, try disconnecting and reconnecting the Pointy box.
Solid green light: The Pointy box is connected to the cell network.
No light: The Pointy box isn’t on. Double check the connections.
Blinking green/purple light: The Pointy box is connecting to the network.
Solid purple light: The Pointy box is charging.
If everything is connected properly and you never see a solid green light, try the following:
- Move the Pointy box so it’s on top of the store’s counter/desk. You can secure it with the VELCRO® strip included, if needed.
- Ensure that the Pointy box has a clear line of sight to the nearest window or door and that it's at least 4 inches (10cm) from any other electrical devices.
- Ensure the Pointy antenna is pointing up. Remove any obstructions that might be blocking Pointy’s antenna from connecting to the cell network.
If Pointy hasn't connected to the network after 3 days:
• Unplug the Pointy box from the scanner and POS.
• Find the nearest power outlet close to a window.
• Plug the Pointy box into a powered USB port (for example, a smartphone charger) via the blue USB cable.
• Once the light on the Pointy box goes green, reconnect it to the POS and scanner.
If your issue is still unresolved, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
• Your store name.
• The make and model of your barcode scanner.
• The make and model of your POS system.
• A brief description of the issue you’re facing.
If the Pointy box is causing barcode scanner/point of sale issues, please disconnect it, and contact email@example.com.