How to fix Barcode scanner / point of sale issues
If your POS or barcode scanner isn't working properly, try restarting your POS. Make sure you know your login codes/passwords. If the issue persists, try the following steps:
- Alternative USB port.
The Pointy box usually works better when connected from the back of computers instead of any side or front USB ports. It also won't work properly from USB hubs or extensions.
- Spare cable.
With your Pointy package you would have received 2 USB cables. If you have first connected the device with the long cord, please try the short one and vice-versa.
- Check the connections
Please click the relevant link below to see installation instructions for your barcode scanner and make sure the Pointy box is connected accordingly. There must be no adapters (or additional adapters in the case of non-UBS installations) between the barcode scanner, Pointy box, and the POS.
You can also check out our installation videos here:
- How to connect Pointy to a USB barcode scanner
- How to connect Pointy to a PS2 barcode scanner
- How to connect Pointy to a Serial barcode scanner
- How to connect Pointy to an RJ45 barcode scanner
The Pointy Box is offline (NO solid green light)
If everything is connected properly and you never see a solid green light, try the following:
- Move the Pointy box so it’s on top of the store’s counter/desk. You can secure it with the VELCRO® strip included, if needed.
- Ensure that the Pointy box has a clear line of sight to the nearest window or door and that it's at least 4 inches (10cm) from any other electrical devices.
- Ensure the Pointy antenna is pointing up. Remove any obstructions that might be blocking Pointy’s antenna from connecting to the cell network.
Solid green light: The Pointy box is connected to the cell network and ready to transmit barcodes. .
Blinking green light: The Pointy box is searching for a cellular network.
Blinking purple light: The Pointy box is charging.
No light: The Pointy box has no power. Double check the connections.
Need more help?
If your issue is still unresolved, email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Your store name.
- The make and model of your barcode scanner.
- The make and model of your POS system.
- A brief description of the issue you’re facing.