Learn how to add UPC/EAN barcodes on Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series) and get your products on Pointy
Pointy integrates with your Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series) by collecting your product barcode numbers and finding an image and description to match each one. Therefore, for Pointy to work well, your Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series) inventory needs to have associated barcode numbers. These must be manufacturer codes (UPC or EAN codes), rather than codes you have created yourself.
There are three ways to add barcode numbers to your Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series):
1. Modify An Existing Item
Warning: If you have already entered your own custom-made non-manufacturer barcodes into the UPC/EAN section then adding the UPC barcode number will overwrite them.
- If you already have products on your Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series), but have not added your UPC barcodes, simply go to the Inventory tab in your Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series) Dashboard and click on 'Quick Edit Items'.
- Enter the barcode number into the UPC section using your barcode scanner or by typing the number manually.
- You can read more about how to edit products here.
2. Create A New Item
- Go to the inventory tab in your Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series)Dashboard.
- Click on “New Item”.
- Enter the barcode number in the ‘UPC’ field by scanning it with your barcode scanner or typing it in manually.
- You can add other information such as product name and description but these details will not be used on your Pointy Page. We source all of this information through our databases.
- Read more about how to create items here.
3. Import Items
Note: The Item Import tool imports up to 1000 items per operation. If you have more than 1000 items, you can split the import into multiple operations.
- Go to the inventory tab in your Lightspeed Retail POS (R-Series) Dashboard and click on Item Imports.
- Download the Template CSV.
- Enter the product barcode number into the CSV file under the UPC field using your barcode scanner, typing the number manually or copy and pasting from another file.
- Click on “New Import” to upload your CSV file.
- Drag your prepared import file to the drop area indicated on the page, or click Browse... to open the file.
- Once the file has been uploaded and validated click 'Import Items'.
- You can read more about importing items here.