Google My Business and Google+
This article describes some of the differences between Google My Business and Google+.
Google My Business is a free, easy-to-use tool that allows local businesses to manage their online presence on Google Search and Google Maps.
- Designed for businesses that serve customers at a particular location, or that serve customers within a designated service area.
- By verifying and editing your business information, you can help customers find you.
- Connect with customers by posting updates, adding photos, replying to reviews, and more.
Google+ is a tool that allows individuals and organizations to share, discover, and engage with relevant and interesting content.
- Share posts with your followers on Google+.
- Use Collections to make it easy to find the posts you and others want to see.
- Use Communities to connect with others that share the same interests as you do.
Choosing the right account for your business
With Google My Business, you can sign up and verify your business, which lets you manage your business listing on Google Search and Maps.
With Google+, you have a couple different options:
- For individuals: See and edit your Google+ profile
- For businesses and brands: Create a Google+ page (which uses a special kind of account called a Brand Account).
Managing your website and URL
Google My Business lets you add a website URL for your business. If you don’t already have a website, you can create a free website in Google My Business (and, if you'd like, use an existing or custom domain).
With Google+, you can get a custom URL for your Google+ profile.
Creating and publishing posts
With Google My Business, you can create and publish posts directly to your business listing on Search and Maps.
With Google+, you can share posts on Google+. When you share a post, people following you can see it in their stream.
Frequently asked questions
I got a Google+ page when I signed up for Google My Business. What happened to it?
We've removed support for Google+ pages from Google My Business accounts. This means that if you haven't used your Google+ page in the past year, it's no longer available. However, if you want, you can create a new page in Google+ at any time.
Do changes I make to my Google+ page show in Google My Business?
For most users, changes you make to your Google+ page won't show in Google My Business, and vice versa. If you want a change to show on both your Google+ page and in Google My Business, you'll have to make the change in each account separately.
For certain users, specific changes made in Google+ (namely, adding managers and changing your name) will reflect in Google My Business, and vice versa. However, in the coming months, you’ll need to make these changes in each account separately.
Why does a Google+ logo shown in my Google My Business listing?
If you have a Google+ page and show it on your website, your business listing may include the Google+ logo along with other information in the knowledge panel. It's not possible to add the logo manually.
I'm having trouble changing the name of my Brand Account.
If you’re having issues with updating the name of your Brand Account or Google My Business listing, please contact the support team here. (You'll find contact options at the bottom of the article.)