Hangouts On Air
Hangouts On Air features and apps
Below is a list of features and apps available in Hangouts On Air:Embed
As the Hangouts On Air host, toggling this icon allows you to show or hide each person in your broadcasts. When a person is hidden, his or her audio and video will not appear in the broadcast. Other people in the Hangout On Air will still see the hidden person within the Hangout, but the person's thumbnail will be greyed out on the filmstrip.
When you click the Cameraman button from the apps menu, you'll have the option to choose whether new people who join will be "visible" or "hidden" by default.
You'll also have the option to hide the film strip and only broadcast and record the main video feed.
The Q&A app allows viewers to ask questions for the host before or during a Hangout On Air. Only the host of the broadcast can choose to turn on the app. You can also view the questions and the host’s answers after the Hangout On Air by playing the video.
Use the Q&A app as a host
- You can only turn the Q&A app on and off before the broadcast. Go to the Hangout On Air event page, and click the Q&A app.
- Once viewers start posting questions, click Select under a question to mark it as the "Currently answering" question.
- Click Done when you’re finished answering the question. By marking when you answer a question, it also will note it in the video, allowing viewers to jump to specific questions when seeing the recording of the broadcast.
In the viewing dropdown on the top righthand side, hosts can select between “Questions,” “Answered questions,” and “Spam.”
Ask a question
- If the host turned on the Q&A app, you’ll see a section on the right side of the Hangout On Air to post a question.
- To post a question, click Ask a new question at the bottom right corner of the viewing window.
- Type your question in the text box that appears and click Submit. You can delete your own questions at any time by clicking the dropdown menu on the top right corner of the question.
During a Hangout On Air, the Q&A app will show on the right side of the viewing window. You can see the questions you submitted, what others have asked, and the answered questions. The question currently being answered automatically appears at the top, and unanswered questions are displayed below it.
- Click Questions.
- To view your questions or the answered questions, select "Your questions" or "Answered."
You can vote for questions you like by clicking +1 below the question.
View answers in the video
You can jump to parts of video where specific questions were answered.
- Choose Answered Questions in the upper righthand corner of the screen.
- Hover over the question you’d like to view. On the bottom right of that question, you’ll see an arrow if the question has been answered.
- Click the arrow, and the video will jump to the location of that question.
If you want to watch a specific part of the video, click on the timeline to jump to that part of the video during or after the Hangout On Air, and the corresponding question will be highlighted to the right in the "Answered Questions" list.
Things to keep in mind:
- The Q&A app will only appear if the host enables it before the broadcast begins.
- The Q&A app is currently unavailable when watching Hangouts On Air through YouTube. But annotations are available on the video if you're viewing the broadcast from the YouTube page or embedded on another website. The annotations will point viewers to the Hangout On Air page with the Q&A app. You also can see the annotations on videos that are played on desktop and mobile devices.
- The Q&A app is currently available on Android and iOS devices in view-only mode. Mobile viewers won’t be able to submit or vote on questions.
As the host of a Hangout on Air, you have control over people participating in the broadcast.
When you hover over the Apps toolbar on the left side, click the Control Room app to see the following options for each person on the right side of the Hangout On Air:
- Mute/Unmute a person’s audio: Click the mute icon to turn off a person’s sound. Unclick the mute icon to turn it back on.
- Mute/Unmute a person’s video: Click the video icon to turn off a person’s video. Unclick the video icon to turn it back on.
- Control a person’s audio level: Click the icon on the bar next to the person’s photo. Scroll left to lower the volume. Scroll right to raise the volume.
- Give another person control for the Hangout On Air: Hover over the person's name. Click the dropdown button to the right of the person's name and choose Give controls. This gives that person the same control as you for the entire Hangout on Air.
- Eject a person from the Hangout On Air: Hover over the person's name. Click the dropdown button to the right of the person's name and choose Eject. This will remove the person from the Hangout On Air.