Hangouts On Air
Get started with Hangouts On Air
With Hangouts On Air, you can host and broadcast live discussions and performances to the world through your YouTube channel or Google+ Home page. You can also edit and share a copy of the broadcast.
As a participant, you can join Hangouts On Air from your computer.
Host Hangouts On Air
To broadcast Hangouts On Air, you need the following:
- YouTube channel: If you don't already have one, create a YouTube channel. Make sure you verify your YouTube channel through SMS.
- Google+ profile or page: Make sure your Google+ profile or page is connected to your YouTube channel. Newly created YouTube channels are automatically connected to Google+. If you have an existing channel that is not connected to Google+, you can connect it to a Google+ profile or a Google+ page. Also, if you used your Google+ page to broadcast to a channel connected to a Google+ profile administrator in the past, you need to link the page to its own YouTube channel.
Start or schedule Hangouts On Air
As a host of a Hangout On Air, you can choose when to start your broadcast and who can join it.Restrictions for broadcasting a Hangout On Air
- Check that your operating system, browser, processor, and bandwidth meet the system requirements.
- Allow Hangouts to use your computer's camera and microphone.
- Internet Explorer, Firefox & Safari browsers: Download and install the latest version of the Hangouts plugin.
- Connect a camera, and make sure it has the latest software.
- Connect a microphone and speakers (if your computer doesn't already have them), and make sure they have the latest software. Headphones with a built-in microphone can improve your video-call experience.
When the broadcast is over, it posts to your YouTube channel as well as your Google+ Home page. From there you can edit it, and the edited version will be available to anyone you share it with.
To learn more about content you can and can't play in Hangouts On Air, visit the YouTube copyright center.
Join Hangouts On Air
If you're invited to participate in a Hangout On Air, you can join the broadcast in a few different ways:
- On mobile: From the Hangout On Air video call notification, click the video icon , or click the phone icon to answer with just a voice call.
- On desktop: From the Hangout On Air video call notification, click Join video call.
Note: If the person inviting you to the Hangout On Air isn’t in your Google+ circles, the video call notification will be in your list of Hangouts invites. From your Hangouts window, click the menu , and then click Invites.