Add or remove an app in Hangouts
You can make your video calls more productive or fun by adding apps for things like creating documents, playing games, and adding fun effects.
To add apps, you'll need a Google+ profile. Apps are not supported on tablets or mobile devices.
- On your computer, open g.co/hangouts.
- Under the "Send invite as [your email address]" section, search for names or email addresses of the people you want to invite.
- Click Invite.
- Point to the left side of the video call window, and a bar will appear.
- Click the more icon .
- Select + Add apps.
- Browse the "Featured" or "Recent" tabs to find the app you want. The "Recent" tab displays all the apps you’ve used in previous video calls.
- Once you’ve found the app you want to use, point to the app and click Add to video call.
- If the app asks for permission to start, click OK.
There are some apps that can be added to a video call, but are not displayed under the Featured tab. There are a few ways you can discover and add these apps:
- Someone else may add an app to the video call. Point to the left side of the video call window, and a bar will appear where you can see which apps your friends are in. If you find one that you’re interested in, you can select it, and you'll be added to the app as well.
- App developers may have a link to apps on their Google+ pages, so be sure to visit your favorite developers’ pages.
- App developers may also add their apps to their websites. If an app has been added to the developer's website or Google+ page and can be used in a video call, it’ll have a Start a video call button. When you click the button, a video call will start with the app already added.
Clicking on the developer's links on a Google+ page or a website will open the app in a new video call. There’s no way to add these apps to an existing video call. But the next time you’re in a video call, you’ll be able to find and add the app under the "Recent" tab, instead of having to go back to the developer’s page.
To see if other video call participants are using an app, point to the left side of the video call window, and a bar will appear. The participants' names will show under the app they're using.
If you'd like to join in on the fun and use an app someone else is using, click on the app and you'll be added to it.
Close an app
- Point to the left side of the video call window.
- Point to the icon for the app you're using.
- Click the "X" that appears.