Video call settings
You can change your device settings for video calls. Hangouts will automatically adjust other settings to give you the best video call experience.
- At the top right of your video call window, click the settings icon .
- Choose the setting you want to change or view:
The camera settings section is marked with the camera icon .
- Select your camera device from the dropdown menu.
- If your camera is working, you’ll see your video feed on the left side of the Settings window.
The microphone settings section is marked with the microphone icon .
- Select your microphone device from the dropdown menu.
The speakers settings section is marked with the speaker icon .
- Select your speakers from the dropdown menu.
- To test your speakers, click Play test sound.
Automatically adjusted settings
Hangouts will automatically adjust the following settings to give you the highest quality call possible on your network:
- High-definition (HD) video
- Direct, peer-to-peer connection with the other participant
Hangouts On Air audio settings
Voice: Optimizes your audio for voice conversation. Best for most people.
Studio: Provides higher fidelity audio. Best for people performing music in a Hangout On Air.
- Download the latest Hangouts plugin.
- Studio mode is experimental. If certain mobile or desktop users join, you'll automatically be switched to normal audio mode while they are in the Hangout.