Share a post
When you post on Google+, you can share things you like, or start a conversation with other people.
When you share, you’ll choose who can see your post. For example, you might want to share an article with everyone in your circles, but share a photo of yourself with only your Family circle.
Tip: If you want to let someone in your circles know about your post, you can tag them by typing "+" and their name. Learn how to tag people in your posts.
Post something on Google+
On Google+, you can share a message you’ve written, photos, links, and your location. And you can use your circles to choose who can see what you share.
Important: When you share something using Google+, you can share it publicly, with your circles, with individual Google+ users, or with email addresses. If you share with others using an email address, they'll get an email that includes either the content you shared, or a link to your content (unless they've opted out of getting such emails). If they share the email itself or the link with others, people you didn't directly share with may be able to see your content.Android app
- Open the Google+ app .
- In the lower right corner, touch the pencil icon .
- Touch Write something > type your text.
- To add a photo, touch the camera icon . You can choose pictures from your camera roll or your Google+ account.
- To add your mood, touch the smiley face > the emoji that matches your mood.
- To add a link, touch the link icon > type the name of the link > touch OK in the bottom right corner of the box.
- To add where you are, touch Add your location > touch your location.
- To choose who you want to share with, touch the text next to your picture (may say "Public" or show people you've previously shared with).
- Touch the people, circles, or communities you'd like to share with. Note: If you've shared something before, you may see just a few people or circles. You can touch one of those options, or touch More to see other people, circles, and communities.
- To search for a person, circle, or community, touch the search icon in the top left corner and type your search .
- When you've selected who you want to share with, touch the checkmark in the top right corner .
- In the top left corner, touch the send icon .
Note: If you don't have an Internet connection, what you share won't be posted until you're connected again. Once you have Internet, the post will be automatically shared for you.
And if you change your mind before reconnecting to the Internet, you can cancel your post using the instructions below.
- Go to your device's notifications. Tip: if you need help, learn about Android notifications and settings.
- From your notifications, touch the Google+ logo .
- Find the post you want to cancel > to the right, touch the cancel icon .
- In the pop-up box, touch Yes in the lower right corner.
- Open Google+ on a computer.
- Near the upper left corner, click Share what’s new.
- Type your text.
- To add a photo, click Photo . You can upload a photo from your computer or choose a picture from your Google+ photos.
- To add a link to a website, click Link > paste the web address (URL) in the "Attach" box > Add.
- To add a video, click Video > use the tabs at the top of the screen to pick the video you want to add > click Add video in the lower left corner.
- To add an event, click Event > create your event > click Invite in the lower left corner. If you want to invite people to an event that already exists, it’s easiest to do that from the event page.
- In the "To:" box, type who you want to share with. You can add your circles, individual people, or email addresses.
- In the lower left corner of the box, click Share.
- Open Google+.
- Near the bottom right corner, touch the share icon .
- Below "Share what's new," touch the first box > type who you want to share with. You can add your circles, individual people, or email addresses.
- Touch Write something, then type your text.
- To add a photo, touch the picture icon .
- To add where you are, touch Location , then pick or type your location.
- To choose who you want to share with, touch the text next to your picture (this may change depending on what device you're on or how recently you've used this feature.)
- To share with people and circles, touch the people and circles you want to share with, then touch the checkmark in the top right corner.
- To share with a community, touch the Communities tab, then touch the community you want to share with.
- To search for a person, circle, or community, touch the search icon on the right .
- In the top right corner, touch the send icon .
- Open the Google+ app .
- In the lower left corner, touch Write > type your text.
- To take a picture and share it, touch the keyboard icon > Camera You can take a picture, or add a photo from your Google+ photos or your camera roll.
- To add a photo from your Google+ photos or your camera roll, touch the keyboard icon > Photos.
- To add a link to a website, touch Link > type the link > touch the name of the link.
- To add where you are, touch Location > touch your location.
- In the upper right corner, touch Share.
Tip: You can also learn to share a poll on Google+.
You might also like:Sharing a post with "Public"
When you post something publicly, what you post (including photos) can be seen by anyone, on or off Google services. Here are some examples:
- People who've added you to their circles may see your post on their Google+ Home page.
- Anyone can see your public posts on the "Posts" tab of your profile.
- Your publicly shared posts or photos may appear in Google search results and on other Google services. For example, if you share a photo with "Public" that has a location associated with it and that's in an album with the "Show location" option checked, it will be added to your Google Views page and might appear in Google Maps. Learn how to remove a photo from Views and Google Maps.
|What you can do||How to do it||Example|
|Bold your text||Put asterisks ( * ) around the words. For example, if you want to bold the word “great,” you could write your post like this: "Today was a *great* day."||Today was a great day.|
|Italicize your text||Put underscores ( _ ) around the words. For example, if you want to italicize the word "great," you could write your post like this: "Today was a _great_ day."||Today was a great day.|
|Strike through your text||Put dashes ( - ) around the words. For example, if you want to strike through the word , you could write your post like this: "Today was a -great- day."||Today was a great day.|
A hashtag is a word or a phrase (without spaces) that includes the # symbol (like #Google). When you click on a hashtag, you'll see other posts with the same hashtag.
Adding hashtags to your post can help other people find your profile and what you share. You can add hashtags to your posts, and they'll show up written in grey in the top right corner of your post. We may also add hashtags to your posts if we know what it’s related to. If we add a hashtag, it will show up in blue in the top right corner of your post.
Add a hashtag
When you're typing your post, add a hashtag symbol (#) and the word you want to hashtag (ex. #tennis). Remember, you shouldn't include any spaces or symbols.
Delete a hashtag
To delete a hashtag you added to your post, edit your post and remove the hashtag. If you need help you can learn to edit your post.
To delete a hashtag Google added to your post: Open Google+ or the Google+ app > click or touch the post with the hashtag you want to remove > click or touch the X in the corner of the post.
Stop Google from adding hashtags to your posts
- Open the Google+ app > touch the menu icon/button > Settings.
- Touch the name of the account you want to edit > Sharing.
- Uncheck the box next to "Hashtags from Google."
- Open Google+ > in the upper left corner, click the drop-down menu > Settings.
- Find the "Hashtags" section > click the box next to "Add related hashtags from Google on my newly created posts."
You can't update this setting on mobile web just yet. Please use the Google+ app or a computer to turn off automatic hashtags.
- Open the Google+ app > in the upper left corner, touch the menu icon .
- In the top right corner, touch the gear icon > Sharing.
- Touch the switch next to "Hashtags from Google." You’ll know you’ve turned it off when the switch turns white.
If you pin a post on Google+, it will stay at the top of the "Posts" tab on your profile.
- You can only pin posts you've shared publicly.
- You can only pin one post at a time.
- Open Google+.
- Find the post you want to pin on your profile.
- In the top right corner of the post, click the down arrow .
- Click Pin post.
If you'd like to remove a post you pinned, follow the first three steps and click Unpin post.
Android app / Mobile browser / iPhone/iPad app
You can't pin posts using a mobile device just yet. Please use a computer instead.
Note: If you pin a post using a computer, even people on mobile devices will see the pinned post at the top of your profile.
When you share within your organization, what you posted will show on the home pages of people who have you in a circle. And anyone in your organization can see what you shared by looking at the "Posts" tab on your profile.
Also, you may not be able to share with people outside of your organization. Learn more about sharing restrictions for Google Apps users.